Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Last Year of my 30s

I have officially entered the last year of my 30s. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I has so happy to say good bye to my 20s. But my 30s? I've liked my 30s. I like being 30-something. I'm not sure how I feel about 40-something. But, yes, I am officially 39. And it seems very odd.

I stretched my birthday out over several days. A friend and colleague made me vegan red velvet cupcakes and brought them to work. I was surprised at how many people had never had red velvet before. And my friend kept referring to the frosting as Spackle (he had to use Tofutti "cream" cheese). But they were good. And RED. Always awesome.

I had an appointment for a haircut and color on Saturday. What was supposed to be a trim turned into a major cut when my stylist said, "So, I've been thinking about your hair..." And we cut at least four inches off giving me an inverted bob. I've had this cut many times as it is what I call my "safety cut," but this turned out really well. I was iffy at first, but I'm diggin' it.

I went to dinner that night with a couple of friends. We went to one of the fanciest places in town where I announced to the waiter that it was my birthday and I intended to drink. And I mean drink. I started with a margarita. It was fine and all, but I think they forgot to add Tequila. I moved on to the blood orange martini. And not only was it pretty, it was good, and they definitely added liquor.

Blood Orange Martini


So... this place has a rotating menu and they had a few vegetarian options--one that could be made vegan and one that couldn't, plus, they could make me something not on the menu (tempeh and quinoa). I went with the item on the menu. Simply put, it was tempeh-stuffed celery root over pureed truffle potatoes with roasted cauliflower and a mushroom rus. Butter was substituted with olive oil. And you know what? It was awesome. Also, by this time I was on drink two if not three, so almost anything starchy would have tasted good. I also had a salad with ginger candy and a balsamic vinaigrette. Also excellent.

Tempeh-stuffed celery root with pureed truffle potatoes, roasted cauliflower, and mushroom rus


There weren't any vegan deserts on the menu, but they brought me some peppermint sorbet over ginger candy paired with some warm blueberries. I don't think I would ever think to put any of those things together, but it was yummy.

Peppermint Sorbet and Warm Blueberries


We had a good time and made plans for a road trip to Corvalis, Oregon so one of my friends could find a place to live (she is leaving us for another job) along with future plans to meet in Portland in the next year to celebrate the completion of her third Masters degree.

After I got home I watched Grease 2 (it was on TV; dear god, what a terrible movie) and drank a half a bottle of Three Buck Chuck. The cats decided they needed to eat about 7:00 this morning, so the raging hang-over I woke up with reminded me why I don't drink like that anymore.

But, I had a good birthday. I was reminded why I don't think I ever want to leave the West coast and that hippie towns, despite their overabundance of dreadlocks, do indeed rock.

Next year for my birthday? Vegas.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

I turn 40 this year...ugh. I want to go to Vegas...however many adult beverages are going to be consumed on my bday!

Yankee Librarian said...

I want to go to Vegas next year.

Ray said...

I turn 40 next year too. I've no desire to go to Las Vegas, though. Glad you had a fun 39th.

Mary said...

That sounds like an awesome birthday. Even the part about Grease 2, which is indeed a truly horrible movie.