Monday, July 27, 2009

Chicago in Pictures

Scenery

Requisite picture of the Cascades taken from the plane



Some dude in a green leopard-print body suit



The Holy Land


Mary Todd and Abe in Millennium Park



Dinosaur in Millennium Park



The Face Fountains in Millennium Park



The Wrigley Building (and a stop light or something that got in the way)



ALA Swag



Mt Baker peaking above the clouds. People behind me were saying things like, "Oooohhh... Mt Rainer." Tourists.


Food

Vegan fried stuff


Frenchie's vegan green enchiladas


Vegan "meat" loaf and mashed potatoes


I forget what these are called. Basically, they are Ethiopian Samosas. Two stuffed with spinach, two with lentils


Ethiopian beer


Ethiopian vegetarian platter: yellow lentils, red lentils, potatoes and carrots, chick peas prepared like fish, cabbage, collard greens.


Russian Tea Time, a half block from the Art Institute: One of my favorite places in Chicago



I forget the actual name, but this is a layered Uzbeki stew. Thinly sliced potatoes, beets, carrots, garlic, and some other root vegetables. Was it 100% vegan? It had margarine in it. Now, the vegan cupcakes I bought at the Co-op on Saturday have margarine in them, but I trust the Co-op to know if it was vegan margarine or not. Do I know this was made with that? No. This is one of those cases where I decided to take their word for it. Why? Because this is one of those dishes I dream about.

No comments: