Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I'm Melting

Have I mentioned that it's fucking hot?

They haven't moved much today.


Unless it's to move to a cooler place, like the bathtub.


Today topped out at around 90, depending on where you were. The closer you were to the water, the cooler it is... but that isn't saying much. According to the weather people, the breeze is coming from the east not the west, meaning the normal pacific breeze that keeps us cool is nonexistent. Tomorrow it supposed to hit the mid-90s. Let me say it again: I don't have air conditioning. There are rumors of another heat wave before the summer is over.

I left this shit behind. At least I thought I did.

I can't sleep, no one can. People were moving pretty slow in the library due to lack of sleep. And that was in the side of the library with air conditioning. Yes, you heard me correctly, only half of our library has central air.

Of course, I could be in Portland. Temps in Portland are ranging in the 105-115 range.

This sucks ass.


3 comments:

Mary said...

Ugh, that sounds awful. I hope you guys get some relief soon!

Yankee Librarian said...

It suck suck sucks. It's 70-some odd degrees out right now. Slight breeze. A little muggy. Not bad, really. My apartment is at least ten degrees hotter and no breeze.

We hit 96 yesterday--all-time high for this area (a few miles inland hit 100, the water kept our temps down). Today is supposed to be in the low-90s I think, and then tomorrow it should drop about ten degrees.

Thing is, even the low 80s is almost ten degrees higher than the norm.

I called the vet to ask them about symptoms of heat exhaustion for the cats (panting is the big one). So far, their fine. Moving slower, warm to the touch (but everything in my place is warm to the touch), and frustratingly enough, they still want to sit next to me, be held, etc. I can't do it when it is this hot.

Steve said...

I'm a little behind the times. I did not see it got that hot in Portland. Holy hell that is brutal. And weird.