Sunday, July 26, 2009

Three-Day Weekend

I'm taking a three-day weekend. I needed a break. Yes, I just went to Chicago, but it was a working trip. I needed some time off. I'm beginning to think I need more time off.

Thinking about taking more time off made me try to remember when I had more than a long weekend off. I guess Christmas when I went back to Iowa. When was the last time I took some significant time off just for me? I don't know. I think I need to start doing that. Soon.

My three-day weekend was for several reasons. I needed it. I've had a rough couple of weeks on the job front, and I needed a break. I needed some time to rejuvenate. Things have gotten better in the last few days, but I've learned that it won't take long for my enthusiasm to be crushed. I needed some time to remind myself that coming out here was not a mistake, because things have been bad enough that last weekend I decided moving here was the biggest and most expensive mistake I had ever made. So... I did some of my favorite things to remind myself why I like living here.

I went to the Farmer's Market. Our market is not huge, but it is damn good. It's a mix of veggie, baked goods, artisans, and food vendors. And being a hippie town, lots of vegan and vegetarian options at all the food booths (I had Ethiopian for lunch). And right now is the peak time for the farmer's market. I also got my veggie delivery last week. It's odd, but having a fridge full of fresh and lovely fruits and veggies makes me happy. I have fresh spinach and basil, peaches, cherries, apricots, plouts, beets, radishes, and summer squash. I'm getting to know people at the Market. When I asked one vendor how things were selling, she said, "Well, you're part of the family so I can tell you this: I haven't closed a deal all day." She's a former banker from Louisiana. By "Family," I have a feeling she means that I worked at Ye Olde University--her son is a graduate. Funny how that works. Another reason to like our particular market? It doesn't open until 10:00am--awesome for non-morning people like me.

I got my hair done. Anyone who knows me knows I love getting my hair cut and colored. I spend more money than a sane person should on hair products, but I figure it is my one big splurge. So I get my hair done every seven weeks. It's a form of pampering. It relaxes me. I sit, I read People magazine, I drink wine, and my hairdresser and I discuss who we dislike more: Jon or Kate Gosselin. It's a good way to spend a couple of hours.

The co-op. Yes, the co-op can be overpriced. When I walk through it I get aggravated by the over-educated, college-town, I-don't-own-a-tv snobbery. Then I realize that minus the over-educated (I have the bare minimum of education I need for my job; I have no desire to be over-educated) and lack of TV attitude, I'm the same college-town, Keene/Dansko-wearing, Obama-loving, foodie, NPR-listening snob. Then I see the balsamic beet salad and fried green tomatoes in the deli... and I don't care. So I left with my organic tofu, beets, fried green tomatoes, vegan cupcakes, and citrus San Pellegrino. Snobbery be damned. I am who I am.

I made a sandwich with Tofurkey, Smart Bacon (aka Facon), lettuce, and fried green tomatoes. It was beyond good. Today I made a spinach pesto so good that my place still smells like basil and garlic.

The weather and scenery. Our weather is going to suck this week. It is supposed to hit 90. Ninety is a rarity around here. But what makes it worse is the overall lack of air conditioning and central air. Right now I am sitting in front of a fan with the lights off while wearing the lightest-weight clothing I could find, because I am one of the poor bastards without air conditioning. But last night? We had thunderstorms. We don't get thunderstorms around here and people seriously freak out. The storms we had last night were the equivalent of mild spring storms in the Midwest or Deep South. It was one of those storms that Southerners and Midwesterners wouldn't've even noticed. But here? We had watches and warnings. The best part? There was some spectacular lightning over the bay.

The other reason I wanted a three-day weekend? Three years ago my dad died. I didn't take the time off to mourn or even reminisce, I took it off as a reminder that life is too short to get all worked up about other people's issues, bullshit, and pettiness. I considered driving up into the mountains tomorrow, but the mountains still freak me out enough that I don't want to go up there alone. Instead, I think I may go sit by the Bay. It isn't all that adventurous, but it has become one of my favorite places to be. I figure it is a good way to honor my dad.

I need to do this more often.

No comments: