Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Health Care

So... Where to start?

If you listened to some people any day now we will all be required to wear Mao Suits while goose stepping and sieg hieling as we pass a replica of Lenin's Tomb that Obama built on the south lawn of the White House.

People, people... get a fucking grip. I know some people don't agree with the new health care legislation. I'm okay with that. I think it is the right thing. Some don't. Some think it will cost too much. Or that it doesn't address the real issues. That's cool. There is still work that needs to be done. But there is a difference between not liking something and some of the bullshit that is out there right now.

Some examples:

A man with Parkinson's Disease is yelled and and ridiculed.

This dumbass who suggested someone should take a shot at Obama. Unfortunately he's not the only one.

Then there is the winner who is urging people to destroy property. He doesn't see it as anything but harmless vandalism, because he's not telling people to kill people. How nice of him.

And then there is the John Lewis and Barney Frank incidents. Now, I've read stories that after individual yelled racial and homophobic slurs and Lewis and Frank that some of their fellow Tea Party protesters called the offenders out. Good for them. I've read other stories where Tea Party organizers told them if someone yelled racists words and phrases to point at the offender and condemn their actions. Good for them. And the leader of the Tea Party condemns the racial slurs. And Michael Steele of the GOP claims it is a limited few.

Well, you know what, GOP, you are associated with the people mentioned above. You have attached your organization to their bile and bullshit, to their shameful behavior. Deny it all they want, but they are part of you and you are part of them. A large part of this is your fucking fault. Own up to it. And then break the tie. Until you do, dear GOP, this bullshit will continue to be legitimized.

Oh, and Glenn Beck, you have more of a responsibility in this than the GOP. I don't know how you sleep at night.

I really wanted to take the high road and not get all petty and insulting, but some of the stories that have come out the last few days make that impossible.

So.... To the people out there who feel that this legislation has somehow taken your freedom: Your behavior is reprehensible. Why are you not willing to take care of your fellow man? How selfish does one person have to be to believe that it is not our responsibility to take care of those who can't take care of themselves. People are dying because they don't have access to the care they need. It's disgusting and shameful. Why should you have to pay for it? It's not your problem, right? You work hard for your money and people keep taking it from you. You know what? You're already paying for them through higher premiums from your insurance company. Because people haven't had access to preventative health care and they wait until it is too late and go to the ER for care. So, those of you who think that people who lost their insurance are lazy or that they deserve what they got, I hope whatever god you believe in has mercy on your soul.

The legislation that passed is not what I wanted. I wanted a public option. I want universal care. No, it isn't socialism. But I figure this is a start. And when I think about the enormity of it, about what was accomplished, it is almost too much to wrap my brain around. But when I saw an article about Patrick Kennedy leaving a note on Ted Kennedy's grave that said, "Dad, the unfinished business is done," I cried. (By the way, don't read the comments if you have high blood pressure.)

2 comments:

cindy w said...

I was talking about this earlier with someone else. The second that an argument involves name-calling or insults, it's over. You're so convinced that your way of thinking is right, and you want to convert me because you think my beliefs are wrong? Well, guess what, when you insult me, I stop hearing you.

And yeah, ok, fair's fair & yes of course there are plenty of a-holes on my leftist-pinko-socialist-commie side of the fence too, blah blah blah. It goes for both sides. Just PLAY NICE. People need to exhibit the same respect that I demand from my three year-old. It's common decency. End of story.

Mary said...

What really cracks me up is that most of the people I see attending those Tea Party rallies are old enough to be eligible for Medicare. (Seriously, spotting someone without gray hair in those crowds is like getting a bingo.) They're totally fine with getting their government insurance, but they'll be damned if anybody else gets some help!

It's been good to see that since the bill's initial passing last weekend, the public's opinions of it have improved. I'd like to think that's happening because people are researching it for themselves and finding out it isn't as scary as the GOP & teabaggers make it out to be. I don't have a problem with people not liking the bill and disagreeing with it, but like you said, I have a problem with all the hyperbolic rhetoric about this being the death of freedom & all that. What a bunch of baloney.