Friday, December 3, 2010

Seen in the Library

Lately I've been taking note of the fashion I see in the library. Our students tend to fall into two categories: über-hipsters or über-hippies. There are a few that fall in the middle. So, I see a lot of skinny jeans, neon plaid, Gunne Sax-inspired clothing, sparkly headbands and ponytails.

Tonight, as I did one of my last Friday night reference shifts, I began to wonder if Facebook and Twitter were around back in the day what the librarians at my school would've said about me and my friends.*

A few thoughts:

  • Seen in library: Shaved head, black leather jacket, bad attitude. Hey little girl, chill. We get it. You're "edgy." By the way, the world doesn't hate you. 
  • Seen in library: White tshirt, black bra, combat boots. Who does she think she is? Nancy Spungen? Didn't your mother teach you how to dress? 
  • Seen in library: Hyperactive boy dressed like Morrisey. Seriously, that's not going to get you laid. Or maybe it will.
  • Seen in library: Long hair, Chuck Taylors, drunk. Again. 
  • Seen in library: That's some curly, curly hair on a dude who seriously looks like one of the Muppets. 
  • Seen in library: That poor guy is a surfer stuck in the midwest. Keep livin' the dream. 
  • Seen in library: Amazon girl with a Molly Ringwald obsession. 
  • Seen in library: I think I just saw Alice Cooper. Seriously. Alice fucking Cooper. 


These are all friends from college. I don't think any of them read my blog, but if they do... they totally know which one of these they are. And yes, I'm included. Although I think I could count on one hand the number of times I went into the library my freshman year.

*I should've asked. Last year when I attended a symposium at my alma mater, I showed some of the librarians who was there when I was an undergrad a picture of me when I was a freshman. And at least one said, "Oh my god, I remember you." This was 20+ years ago. I'm not sure whether I should be flattered or frightened.

1 comment:

Scott A. Meister said...

I *AM* livin' the dream!!! Surf's up and Banzai!!!! So THERE! :-P