Friday, December 23, 2011

Co-Owner

Today I became a co-owner of the Green Bay Packers. Me and several hundred thousand others.

I'm always surprised at how many people don't know the story of the Packers. They're the only publicly-owned NFL team. They don't have one owner--they have a President and CEO. They have a general manager. There is a board. And the Packers Organization. But they are owned by their shareholders.

For some it is the opportunity to be a shareholder in their favorite team. For others is is an investment to keep the Packers in Green Bay. Because, if you didn't know, Green Bay is a city of 100,000 people and the smallest city to have an NFL team. Way back when, it was normal to have teams in cities like Green Bay, but as media markets and demand changed, teams moved to larger markets to be more profitable. Why didn't the Packers leave? Because they were owned by their community.

And now I am part of that community. I am part-owner of the Green Bay Packers. Plenty of people will tell me it was a waste of money. That it's a sham. Maybe it is. Stockholders can't make money off their stock. They can't sell it. It isn't traded.

I don't care.

The tie between the Packers organization and the players and its fans is life-long. This isn't just any team, this is my team. And now it's official: I am part-owner of the best and most-unique sports franchise in the United States. And you can't take that away from me.

Go Pack. 

No comments: