Yeah, so I was taking a break. And I did this 30 Days of Thanks thing last year. And I don't know if my 30 things will be much different than last year. But, here it goes.
Today I am thankful for today. And by that I mean this very day, today.
I've had a semi-shitty week. Monday was crazy busy. Tuesday was that type of day where it felt like everything I touched I broke. I taught in the morning, and it went terribly. My students got frustrated, and I got frustrated. It I felt like I had been rambling on for seven weeks and nothing I said was sinking in. It got to the point where I almost told them to get out of the room because I didn't want to look at them anymore. But I took a deep breath, asked them what they didn't get and tried to address their concerns and questions. The rest of the day was spent in meetings or grading, and then I was at work late, still grading.
The grading continued until Wednesday, and I got even more frustrated. The grading was briefly interrupted for more meetings.
Today? Was the polar opposite of Tuesday. Or Monday. Or Wednesday. It was busier than all of them combined, but my class went beautifully. I tried something new and it worked. It really worked. My students got into the exercise and they seemed to get something out of it. It was great. And the meetings, while time consuming, were actually productive.
And I bought an iPad. It's a used one. And it was semi-impulsive, but there you go. A friend on Facebook was selling it, I counter-offered her price, and we had a deal.
So, today was what I needed to counterbalance the rest of my week.
2 comments:
Sorry things have gone so apeshit lately -- is the end of the semester in sight, at least? And will things calm down then, classload-wise?
Sometimes you need a little impulse purchase to up the fun factor, so kudos on the iPad acquisition. :-)
Courseload-wise, things will calm down in December. My actual classroom time is going down some this month because I am doing one-on-one consults next week and then I scheduled review and in-class work time for the following week. And then student presentations (god bless the presentation). Granted, consults take up more time, but I really enjoy working with them one-on-one.
I'm not teaching in the winter or spring quarters, so that is good. But it means I will have to turn my attention to all the things I have been neglecting this quarter. So, yay.
I almost bought a new iPad the weekend before last. I had to buy a new modem when mine died and the iPads were next to the modems. I had planned on buying one next year so I held off from that $400 impulse purchase. The impulse purchase I made was less than that, but not a whole lot less. But yes, sometimes the impulse purchases are what a person needs.
Post a Comment