Friday, January 26, 2007

Who takes his own harmonica to karaoke?

Some dude, that's who. Some dude who kept yelling, "Can I hear a Rebel yell?!" I thought he was going to sing Billy Idol. He wasn't and didn't.

I've never been a fan of karaoke mainly because I can't carry a tune and when I try to sing the sound that comes out of my mouth isn't anything anyone would want to hear. But I will sing backup. A large group of us took over the karaoke room at a local bar but sometimes a local would wander in, like the guy with the harmonica (seriously, who takes his own harmonica to karaoke?). Then there was a job candidate (any candidate who will go out at night and sing karaoke with a potential employer should be hired immediately), and some dude in a kilt (any guy who is willing to wear a kilt in this town has my total respect).

The night was pretty awesome, really. Lots of singing, birthday cake, clapping, foot stomping, and laughing... mostly at ourselves.

But the weirdest part? Running into a student... More like being accosted by a student, actually. In the three years I have been here I have been able to avoid seeing students at the local bars. Most of the students I work with aren't old enough to get into a bar, and the ones that are seem to frequent different bars than me. Tonight I was walking through the crowd when this very blond girl grabbed my arm and squealed, "Oh my GOD!" I looked at her with wide eyes pretty much knowing what was next. "You're that librarian!" I tried to play dumb and pretend not to know what she was talking about, but I knew she had to've been in one of the advanced advertising classes I spoke to earlier this week. Those kids are old enough to get into the bars. "Oh my god, you came to talk to us about that stuff for class! Oh my god! Let me give you a hug! Oh my god! You're awesome! Oh my god!" I am trying to get away without making a scene all the while the guy she is with is laughing hysterically. "I want to have my picture taken with you! Oh my god!" The guy was like, "Ashley,* she doesn't want to have her picture taken with you." "Oh my god, I have to have my picture taken with you!" I am still trying to get away.... "Ashley, she doesn't want her picture taken," the guy keeps saying. Ashley continues to squeal, "Oh my god! Meghan,* take a picture! Take a picture!" She's still got ahold of my arm, and I am trying to sneak away before my picture is taken with a student in a bar. I see the flash out of the corner of my eye and hear the guy friend laughing even harder. I was not drunk. I was not doing anything I shouldn't've been doing, but oh dear lord, I do not need my picture taken with some drunk-ass student. Next thing I know, a picture of me hiding from a student will be on the damn Facebook. Thing is, I have to work with these students on a one-on-one basis throughout the semester. Precious.

As Harmonica Dude said, "What happens at the Oasis stays at the Oasis." Let's hope so.

Next week for happy hour? Roller skating. Faculty on Skates. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Especially since I can't turn corners on roller skates.




*I don't know if those were their names but since most girls here are named either Ashley or Meghan, it is a safe bet.

2 comments:

Steve said...

You, are a star! You made an impression on a future leader of America thus making this world a better place.

Are you all going to be liquored up while roller skating? That would be even better.

Yankee Librarian said...

No liquor allowed at the roller rink. Some suggested we drink in the parking lot like high school kids. Another person was torn between liquor and roller skating. My response: "Do you really want to be drinking while rolling around on skates? Think about it?" He agreed that might be a bad idea. I know it would be for me.