Monday, January 8, 2007

Wheezing TV

Okay, I finally faced the fact that I was not getting better and went to the doctor. I'm all asthmatic and shit. No, I don't have asthma. But Dr. G said the cold (on top of the allergies I was already dealing with) triggered an allergic asthmatic bronchitis-like reaction in me. So I'm all wheezy. I am a librarian with librarian glasses with two cats who wheezes. And now I have my very own inhaler. Can anyone say "nerd"? Just wrap some tape around the center of my glasses and call me poindexter.

So, since I haven't had a lot of lung capacity lately, I have been watching even more TV than usual (imagine). I was home last week for a couple of days where I enjoyed an America's Next Top Model marathon on VH1. Thing is, a year and a half ago when I was home for a week with bronchitis I also watched a marathon of America's Next Top Model. Except then it was seen through a codeine haze.

Last night I watched Grease: You're the One that We Want. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that. I had planned on avoiding it since I love the movie Grease, but that very love drew me to the show -- it was like a moth to a flame. There I was, doing laundry (between coughing fits) watching these people with slicked back hair and tight capri pants sing Grease songs. Then I found myself caring about who won and who moved on. I am a loser.

I also watched the first night of The Apprentice (LA). I don't think I will be watching it again. I've watched this from the beginning. I felt I could justify it since I generally work with business students and professors. It was interesting to see teams work together like this as I see students working together. But this show has just completely fallen apart. The contestants are idiots. Seriously. That idiotic Martin (?) guy, the one dressed like a clown, the lawyer from Atlanta? What the hell was that? And the team leader? They guy who yelled and spent the entire time simultaneously kissing Trump's ass while talking out of his own? I didn't even see the tasks, I just saw the boardroom and from that alone I'd'a fired both of 'em.

But seriously, this show has just become a ridiculous mess. I liked the first season and even the second season because I liked watching these people planning and trying to complete a task. Then it became all about the boardroom and the circus that that became. And it isn't the same without George and Carolyn. Although, Ivanka Trump? She kicks some serious ass.

In an effort to try to prove I have a teeny bit of culture and intelligence, I saw The Queen Saturday night. Excellent. Seriously. Go see it.

FSUv Ohio St. It's on right now with FSU up 34 to 14. My mantra is usually go Big Ten. But, Ohio St is pretty cocky. It's kind of nice to see their collective ass handed to them on a platter. Of course, they could still come back, but it would be tough.

No comments: