Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Night I beat up Sweet Pickles

Well, I didn't really beat him up. But I'd had a few drinks and Sweet Pickles had had a few drinks, and I was imitating my cats. By "imitating," I mean I was poking him in the arm while saying "hi hi hi hi hi." If you've ever met my cats, you'll understand. And I must've been poking him in the arm a lot harder than I thought because I knocked him over.

ME was nice enough to host my going away party last night (even though I'm not leaving until next Sunday). Yesterday was a disgustingly humid and nasty day. I decided not to do a damn thing. I spent the morning on the Square where I got some coffee and breakfast and then thought about buying a pair of shoes (I didn't). I came home and did a whole lot of nothing. And then it rained. And then it cooled down. Thank god.

LS and I got to ME's a little early so we could stand around and get in the way. And eat. And drink pomegranate daiquiris. And beer. And red wine. It seemed like at almost every moment of the night I had two drink in my hands at one time.

People brought wonderful food. We fired up ME's grill and made real brats and Boca brats. ME toasted me--and it was sweet. At the end of the night it was kind of like being in a receiving line. People lined up to hug me and tell me good bye and good luck. Some people I will see again this week, but for some last night was probably the last time I'll see them. I'm kind of glad I was drinking; it was easy to not think about not seeing some of these people again--or at least not see them for a long time.

I know some people who were there last night read this, so thank you to everyone who made last night fun. I appreciated everyone coming out to say good bye.

And Lou Haney made me a Lou Haney original: A Kool-Aid-dyed hat.



No comments: