This afternoon an undergrad came to see me about becoming a librarian. It was one of those random things how she found me, but she did. She has a list of questions ranging from, "What is your day like?" to "What kinds of librarians are there?"
I could barely answer some of them. I showed her what I was working on: creating research guides for undergraduate classes and why I was making them. What kind of librarians are there? Well, if you've ever heard me talk about or ask questions about what happens in tech services, you would know that I really don't know what happens outside of the reference department. I know it is all important and necessary, but I barely understand it. Which is why we are all lucky I am not in tech services.
She wanted to know the difference between a public library and an academic library. Having only worked in an academic setting, I had a limited view. I told her why I wanted to work in an academic setting. I explained what I saw as the biggest draw to being in a public library--the strong sense of community service. She asked me what my research areas were and why. User behavior, mostly. I like observing people and what they do. They fascinate me.
I explained the difference between some library schools--mainly the L versus the I in LIS. If she wants to be a public librarian, look at a program with a more traditional library setting. Some schools will require a thesis and comps, some won't. I told her it was a professional degree, so look for programs that emphasized work, practicum, etc., over research. The theory is important and needed for a base, but what she will find most helpful is what she learns on the job.
If she visits a school, ask if there is help finding a student job or assistanship. Ask if the library school works closely with the library system. That may hint at the amount of job possibilities available on campus.
Turns out she is looking at UW-Madison. I talked up Madison and told her it was wonderful and explained the program to her. Get some work experience in a library--either now or when she was in library school. I told her if she went to school straight from her undergrad she would probably be one of the youngest people there. If she decided to go to UW to move to Madison, get a studio apartment and a job and have absolutely nothing to so with the university for one whole year. Out-of-state tuition is crazy expensive. I had several friends who did this so they could get in-state tuition.
She is also looking at a school closer (not The Other UW). It's a program I have heard good things about, too. In the end, go to an ALA-accredited school. If she doesn't she may as well throw her money out the window. If the other school works better for her monetarily, geographically, go there. Get the degree and get some experience. That what is most important.
I also told her that she will hate library school. She and everyone around her will complain about it nonstop. If they don't, there is something wrong with them. I almost gave her the speech I got when I went through orientation at UW: At the end of your first year half of you will love library school and the other half of you will fucking hate it. But I decided not to crush her spirit so early.
Honestly, though, I love being a librarian. I also like making fun of librarians. But like many people I know who went to library school, when I began to figure out what I would be doing, what the purpose was, it just made sense.
No comments:
Post a Comment