Sunday, November 16, 2008

Shopping and Porn

I saw Zach and Miri Make a Porno last night. I liked it. But if you don't like Kevin Smith or are offended by raunchy language and humor, stupidity, full-frontal nudity, and other unmentionables, you won't like it. You will see some of the Kevin Smith regulars, like Jay and Randall from Clerks. But there is also Darrel from Office Space and Seth Rogen.

And then I went shopping today. I needed new jeans. I can still wear my jeans--with a belt. Without a belt I can pull them off without unbuttoning them. I ended up buying more than jeans, of course. At Target I found a new trenchcoat. I don't know what it is about trenchcoats from Target, but for whatever reason, the only place I can seem to find coats I really like is Target.

Anyway, I had been wanting a new trenchcoat or raincoat for some time. This coat doesn't have a hood, and I had given in to the reality that I needed a coat with a hood. See, it rains a lot. But the rain here is mostly mist and an umbrella isn't all that useful in the mist. Plus, as many people have told me, only tourists carry umbrellas. Well, you know what, I know have an awesome little trenchcoat from Target that doesn't have a hood. I am going with style over those shapeless, ugly REI-inspired raincoats people around here wear.

I also bought a cute sweater. I mention it because it is argyle. And you know what I saw at Macy's? Calvin Klein jeans and argyle vests. Y'all, it's like eighth grade all over again. Except this time I know better than to wear a pink argyle vest with pink pinstripe pants. Hopefully. I tried on the Calvins, and they fit okay, but I am in between sizes. And the "short" ones are too long. And they are expensive. But I have decided that when I hit the weight I want to be, I am buying a pair of Calvins and having them tailored. It's like making up for junior high when I wanted Calvins so badly but they only made them for skinny tall people.

The other thing: I have officially gone down a size. I tried on a corduroy blazer in what has been my size for years--and I was swimming in it. The next size down was a bit snug, but I bought it anyway. And the jeans I bought were a size smaller. I was reminded of being in Tupelo with Sweet Pickles several years ago. I tried on a white blouse and when I realized it was a size smaller than what I normally wear, I actually squealed in the middle of the store. I wanted to squeal this afternoon, but I knew people would think I was crazy.

So, after three hours in the mall, a trip to Trader Joe's and the Co-op, laundry, and cooking, I am done for the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for weight loss!!

P.S. - I got an awesome trench coat at Target last winter too!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the size smaller. I have found, that about every 20 pounds is a new size. Feels awesome, doesn't it!! ~Lynn