I love walking in the snow. I like standing in the snow. I like watching it snow. One of the my favorite things to see is snow in the light under a street lamp.
Everything is so peaceful and quiet when it first starts to snow. Snow is quiet. It is quiet when it comes down, it muffles other sounds. It sparkles.
When I was a kid, I remember going for walks during snowstorms. I would put on my boots, heavy coat, scarf, and hat and just walk. Sometimes it was just around the block, sometimes it was longer. I was usually the only one out, there were no other footprints in the snow, and the snow was sparkly white. And it was absolutely silent.
Well, it's snowing. I think we are supposed to get a couple of inches. Not normally a big deal, but it is really hilly here and the city sold all their snow plows a few years ago because they never get snow--or so the city claimed. I have some errands to run tomorrow and I am thinking I should've done them today. A couple inches of snow isn't a big deal. But people freak out over snow (I live next to the mountains, but people still freak out about snow), the town doesn't have snow equipment, and we're getting some strong winds from Canada--that may be a bad mix. We'll see.
Anyway, I walked outside tonight to watch the snow. And you know what? I felt myself smiling. And then getting happy. I mean like little-kid happy. I was almost bouncing up and down I was so excited. The manager of my buidling was in the parking lot. She saw me and yelled up, "Isn't this great?!" And I yelled back, "Oh my god, I missed snow!"
I wan't dressed for a walk in the snow. I was wearing jeans, clogs, a tshirt, and a zipped-up hooded sweatshirt. I pulled the hood tight on my head and trudged up the hill. I found myself slipping back into old ways. I did the midwest shuffle: flat-footed walk where you either swing your arms at your side, or, if you were like me, swung your shoulders because your hands were in your pockets (I forgot gloves). The shuffling and arm/shoulder swinging is what helps keep you balanced.
There was very little snow on the ground but temps have been in the 20s, so it was cold enough to stick. Even with a very light covering of snow, I could feel it and hear it crunch under my feet as I walked. I walked a couple of blocks up one way, doubled back and walked a few blocks past my building--all in all, about a twenty minute walk. Y'all, I couldn't stop smiling, I was so happy. It has started coming down harder now that I am home, but I can't stop glancing out the window every few minutes to watch the snow in the streetlamps below my window.
In the two hours since the light snow started, it has turned into SNOW. Big, fluffy snowflakes that are horizontal and it is awesome in so many ways. I just went back out to the walkway/balconies and it was starting to get slick.
This is a shot of the driveway between the buildings. I live about a quarter of the way up a big hill, so it's either down hill to the street in front of my building or uphill to the street behind it (and uphill to campus). I've been old when it snows our parking lot turns into an ice rink since no one around here has salt, sand, or a plow.
1 comment:
I envy your ability to enjoy weather like that. I just don't have the fortitude. I need palm trees!
Post a Comment