I love Camper van Beethoven. That is well documented here and here. But I loved Dave Lowery's post-CvB band, Cracker, almost as much. And in some cases, even more.
I've seen them live a couple of times. And their mellow yet sarcastic vibe never gets old. At least to me it doesn't. I saw them open for The Cranberries some time in the mid-90s. Were they awesome? Hell, yeah. I saw them in 2003 while I was in library school. I had seen Camper a few months earlier so seeing Lowery just six months later was pretty awesome.
The crowd was small. I was right down front. Again. At the end of the show some Random Dude and I got Johnny Hickman's autograph (he's he guitarist). We asked if we could get Lowery's autograph. Sure, Hickman told us. But when we got to the back door where he was loading equipment Lowery slammed the door when he saw us.
Some people might have been mad. We weren't. I turned to the Random Dude I was standing next to and said, "I guess Dave is in a shitty mood." Random Dude, "I wouldn't expect any less."
That's about right.
So... One of my favorites: Mr. Wrong. Sometimes I feel like it is the story of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment