Thursday, August 19, 2010

Schlessinger

So, back in the late '90s I worked at a small publishing company. My coworkers and I had a habit of listening to the same radio station in our various workspaces/offices so we could totally trash it later. It started with a local radio station and their crappy playlist and then it moved to local talk radio--specifically Dr. Laura Schlessinger. She would make me so mad I wanted to spit. Seriously. I despised her. I despised everything about her and her attitude. However, when she would lay into someone for whatever it was they were calling about,  I had little sympathy for them. They knew what they were getting into when they called.

But the woman she cut down for no reason because of her "sensitivity to race"? The one she told that because of this so-called sensitivity she shouldn't have married outside of her race? What? She crossed the line. Hell, she bounded over the line. Totally. Schlessinger told the woman to "not NAACP her." Really? Just using the phrase like that is insulting. To everyone. And her claim that you can use the N-word because it's used on TV? What? That's your defense?

And then she resigned so she could regain her first amendment rights? Listen, Doctor, no one took them away. If she's quitting because her sponsors backed out, well, that has nothing to do with first amendment rights. But, my guess is that she wants to hitch herself to the Tea Party's Racist Bandwagon by throwing out the phrase "first amendment" in order to claim she was being persecuted for being a racist ass. She is both utterly disgusting and downright offensive.

NPR's Monkey See blog had a really good post about the whole thing: Good News, Dr. Laura: Your First Amendment Rights are Still Yours.

And once again, I give you Stephen Colbert:


The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Don't Shoot the Schlessinger
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full Episodes2010 ElectionFox News

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I"m late on the topic, but.. Hell yeah! Tell 'er, sister!