Friday, August 6, 2010

Tee-Vee

Mad Men
You know I love having it back. LOVE IT. Joan's back. Freddie's back (and old). And Don has gone from a charming sleeze to kind of skeevy.

But you know who I am intrigued by? Betty's new husband, Henry. I feel sorry for him. Especially in the first episode when Don had to wait for Betty and Henry to get back, and Henry, honestly, seemed to see the logic in Don being irritated... But Betty wasn't having it. I feel sorry for him, having to live in another man's house. I'm still intrigued by Betty. I still wonder if she will ever get caught up in women's rights. At the end of last season I wondered if she would use Henry as an excuse to leave Don and then break out on her own, leaving Henry behind. Hell, I wanted her to do that. But she didn't.

And that creepy kid Glenn (who I read was Mathew Weiner's son) is back--even creepier, yet oddly sweet--than before.

Project Runway
Yay! Project Runway is Back! Yay! Jason is gone. Too bad they had to kick off the dreadlocked one who made the cute dress just to find out what they thought was intriguing about Jason was in fact douchebaggery.

Top Chef
I am glad Tiffany won a challenge. I like her. Angelo is skeevy. Really, really sveeky. Whenever he starts talking about the sexiness of food I fee like I need to take a shower.

But, there is something about this season that bugs me: the attitude of the chefs. In the past, they would talk about how they wanted to go up against the best of the other chefs. If they won, they wanted to win on talent and not on gamesmanship. But this season people seem to be more concerned with "playing the game" than actually wanting to win because of their skills. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the hell out of this season, but the attitude is annoying.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

That Jason dude was all things unpleasant! I keep thinking there must be a back story with him and his early departure. Evidently he could not sew, but he also made a few comments in interview that suggested he really hated other people.

I like Mondo!

Yankee Librarian said...

I like Mondo's clothes and personal style, but I had to roll my eyes at the "my talent is a curse" comment. Really?

I'm not a big fan of Gretchen's clothes. They're just kind of "eh." I have to say, though, she looks very Portland.