Monday, January 3, 2011

The Break I So Sorely Needed

I went back to Iowa for the holidays. Last year I was there for about two total days and it wasn't enough time. As I've documented several times, I have been seriously homesick this year. Normally, I get homesick, I head back for several days, enjoy myself and all, but then I am always happy to come back to the Pacifical Northwest. But this year, going to Wisconsin just made my homesickness worse. Why? I wasn't there long enough to get sick of it.

I went to Iowa for six days. I hate to say I got sick of it because I love my family, but after six days, I was ready to leave. I love my nieces and nephews more than anything. And as screechy as they can get, I miss them like crazy, but I needed to get away. My sister-in-law is incredibly supportive of me being a vegan. She scoured the Internet for vegan recipes, she research egg replacers. She found a recipe that called for cake mix. She read every singe ingredients list of every cake mix she had to find one that didn't have any animal products. And she made me my own cookies. And they were awesome. But, after a week, I was ready to go home and cook my own food instead of trying to find alternatives to everyone else. And I was really tired of the Disney Channel.

So you know what? I came back here, to a place I wasn't sure I wanted to stay, with a renewed energy and attitude. Of course, I feel like I need another week to lay around in my PJs, but since classes start tomorrow, I guess not. Oh well, at least this time I feel like I can be excited about it.

No comments: