The rain is supposed to return tonight so I wandered down to the farmer's market since I have yet to be there this year when it wasn't raining. Shortly after I got there, I ran into some friends. We're all pretty much cut from the same vegan, Prius-driving, co-op-shopping cloth.
As we were talking, I realized how cliche we sounded. Some soundbites:
- "I was out at the [north-side] Co-op a couple weeks ago. Their beer selection is pretty shitty. I was just trying to pick up some staples, you know, like basic tofu, and they didn't carry the same kind as the downtown co-op. I was disappointed" (Me)
- "The Market on Lakeway is the only place in town that sells vegan shrimp and fish." (me)
- "I had to special order the organic Silken tofu I use because both the co-op and public market stopped stocking it." (Her)
- "Oh! The co-op has vegan vitamin D." (Me)
Yeah..... These even goes beyond Pacific Northwest Problems.
2 comments:
You have your choice.of.co-ops. CHOICE!! #perspective
Oh, I know. We're lucky. After I said something about the different branches of the co-op not having the same type of tofu, I said, "Do you ever wonder what we sound like to people who overhear us?" Considering we were at the farmer's market, we fit right in.
I keep thinking that we're normal and not all that weird out here. Then I go back to Iowa and realize that to the rest of the world, we're pretty much Portlandia.
Post a Comment