Sunday, October 1, 2006

PR Final Three (Four?)

What the fuck? Final four? Ugh. I guess some are saying it is due to the Kara thing last season: Kara was not in the final three but since fashion week was before the final three show, Kara shoed a collection -- and Kara's collection was the better than those of the final three. Fine, but that's the way things go. The whole point of the show last week was to have a final three, not four. Someone, maybe even a favorite, was supposed to be sent home. It's part of reality TV. Christ. And considering his dress, the one sent home could very well have been Michael, but it should have been Jeffery based on that poorly made Betsy Ross Milk Maid dress of his.

I only half-assed watched the show on Wednesday night. I rolled into town about 6:00pm that evening. L called me when I was about 15 miles from town and said she, ME, and MT were meeting for cheap Mexican food and wanted to know if I would join them. I had had three to fours hours of sleep the night before and had just driven ten hours after a very stressful and emotional three days. I should have just gone home, but the idea of a margarita the size of my head was too appealing. So, L met me at my place, helped me unload my dad and grandma's stuff, I changed my clothes and off we went.

Recently, when we go to this particular restaurant, we seem to always be eated at the same table. It's the table ME and I sat at for lunch shortly after I found out my dad died. And I drank a margarita the size of my head. Well, there we were, surrouned by frat boys talking on their cell phones, and I ordered dinner and a big drink. I reacted like a small child getting a new toy when my drink arrived. ME said it was nice to see a smile on my face. If you had had the week I had just had, you would be excited by an extra-large margarita, too. I drank most of it. By the end of dinner it was mostly water from the melted ice, but I still had the straw in mouth because I was using it to prop up my head. Without it, the alcohol and lack of sleep would have made me go face first into my food.

L dropped me off at home just as some other friends pulled up to check on the cats... I had forgotten to call them to tell them I was home. We chatted for a bit, they offered me homemade mac and cheese (the ultimate comfort food) and away I went. I stumbled upstairs, turned on Bravo, and watched PR as I checked my email. I was mainly interested in the final three since I had missed what the challenge was. And then there were four. And then over the weekend I caught the full show. Damn! How boring was that? Really damn boring.

Thursday I went to a workshop. It was fine. The workshop was fairly bland, but talking to other people and finding out what worked (or didn't work) for them was excellent. But then we had to buy our own lunch. The library paid $195 for a damn workshop but we still had to buy lunch? Then I was there with three other colleagues. I am not sure why everyone went. One of them commented the last thing they had gone to at this particular campus involved free lunch. If she was looking for free lunch, she didn't get it. And then the next day all they did was complain about it. And complain. And complain. I got a phone call and had to actually cover up my left ear in order to try and drown them out so I could hear the person on the other end of the line. I want an office. A realy office. With walls. I feel like Les Nessman from WKRP.

On a side note: I wish I worked with people actually interested with what was happening in the world of librarianship. I mean, I don't want them to be those psycho librarians who get excited at, well, anything and everything; I just wish they cared. During a recent job interview I was asked how I let colleagues know about what I saw and heard at conferences. I came up with some line about how a group of us always get together during and after conferences to compare notes on what we saw, who we talked to, what we saw (not to mention all the bad clothes, bags, shoes, and other accessories). I said that because I knew I shouldn't say, "The ones who don't go to conferences could not give a shit about what happens because god-forbid they learn anything new." I kept away from that 'cause I knew it would make me look a tad bit negative.

Anway, Friday I went back to work after a week being gone. I should say "work" since I pretty much sat there and stared at my computer all day. I had caught my brother's cold, I had a lot of other things on my mind, and I was tired. Staring at my computer was really all I could muster the energy to do. My boss did tell me everyone was glad to have me back even though he knew I would rather be at home, asleep.

That night was happy hour and more drinks. And Saturday as football: Iowa vs Ohio State. I expected Ohio State to win. And they did, but dammit, I would like to've seen Iowa beat the top-ranked team. Tomorrow night is Packers vs. Eagles on Monday Night Football. I'll watch, but I know it will be a bloodbath -- meaning the Eagles will kick the shit out of the Packers. *sigh*

Next week I have to get my head out of my ass to actually work. It's been really hard to concentrate on anything, but I have to. Students are emailing me, and I will probably have more classes to teach. And I have to finish a presentation. But I am finding it difficult to actually work.

No comments: