Iowa is cold. I got here last night--two hours late. Flight was delayed because the incoming flight was late. Then we sat at the gate for 40 minutes because they needed something to start the engine. The first one they brought didn't work--the second one did. But, because of the delay the pilot comped the alcohol, so we had free drinks. Woo!
We hit a few bumps on the way down (due to wind). The bumps were big enough to make me jump and knock over my (empty) beer can. It took us a while to get to the terminal due to the icy runway and blowing snow. The winds were gusting up to 35 miles per hour. They only got about an inch and a half here, but an inch of snow and strong wind may as well be ten inches.
Now, I was raised in Iowa. My brother still lives here. Midwesterners take cold in stride, but strong wind and cold don't mix. So, when my brother said, "It's pretty nasty out there," I knew I needed to be prepared. Wool pea coat. Turtle-neck sweater. Double-lined fleece hat. Gloves. Scarf to wrap around my face.
Holy Mother of God, it was cold. It was the wind, not the air temp that did it. Waiting for the kids to get settled so that I could get into the truck, I thought my face was going to fall off. But once we got back to town, where there were buildings to block the motherfucking bitterly cold wind, I was able to be outside without buttoning my coat or wearing a hat.
And by this morning I could go outside in a wool sweater, scarf, hat, and gloves. I hate having to deal with a winter coat when I am inside.
For a second there I was scared. I thought that maybe my blood had officially thinned.
No comments:
Post a Comment