Friday, December 7, 2007

Project Runway, y'all

You know, when I say "y'all" I feel like a faker, because I'm not a southerner.

OK, so Project Runway. I was so excited for the season to begin. To quote every Bravo reality TV judge out there, I've been a little underwhelmed. Tim Gunn was quoted as saying this season boasted the most talent they have had yet. Really?

I think this is the most established group of people they've had yet. Rami had his collection on Tyra--not that Tyra is "established," but still... (and Saliesha from ANTM was a model in the same show). But many of the PR people seem much more established than others. Some, like Chris March (auf weidersehen, Chris) don't have any professional training, but they have a career and experience. Then some, like Christian, have the training but are too young to have set up a career. But, even more so, they know what PR is. They know how people will see them. Sometimes, their characters seem too forced.

Like the squinty guy from the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago? I really wanted to like him. I love the MSI, and I love Chicago, but his squinty-ness and his attempt at a Tim Gunn impression leave me cold.

I like Sweet Pea. Her designs have been kind of so-so for me. I seem to remember a lot of sack dress types of things, and I hate those. But I like her. I like Christian's designs--despite his obvious 1980s worship. And as much as he seems like a caricature, I like him. In the 1980s, when I was in my late teens/almost 20s, I probably would have hung out with him--and loved him, yet hated him a little. Just because.

And as batshit crazy as Elise seems, some of her post-pooing fabric dress have been OK--specifically the Sarah Jessica Parker dress (which should have won, by the way).

But so far, I am most sorry to see Chris go. Based on his first dress, I had hoped he would become the Michael Knight of Season 4. I expected his designs to go unnoticed until there were fewer designers. But Jillian, the one who worked for Ralph Lauren? I can tell you right now that I do not like her. I don't like her high-waisted preppy-ass designs. I don't like her. I hope she goes away soon.

No comments: