Saturday, January 10, 2009

Randomness

I saw Slumdog Millionaire today--finally. I tried to see it twice before but it was sold out. It was showing in this little bitty theatre in town. And by little bitty I mean 88 seats little bitty. It's a mish mash of seats with a ceiling mounted projector. I sat in the last row thinking it would be easier to see over the screen. I was wrong. I had to move twice to get a decent view. Luckily, the people who own the theatre are in the process of building/renovating a bigger theatre. But, it was was a intimate little theatre and everyone was very enthusiastic about the movie. Rightly so, it was an awesome film and worth the multiple attempts to see it.

I love Trader Joe's, but so does every other hippie, organic-loving, vegetarian/vegan in town. Which means everyone. The store isn't very big and the parking lot is even smaller. And since it is always raining here, a trip to Trader Joe's means driving a sloppy wet parking lot battling several aggressive Priuses for a parking space. And then there is trying to find a dry shopping cart (carts are outside and, you know, it's always raining). Today, after circling the lot three times and muttering, "dirty hippie" at least five times, I finally found a spot. And I found one last dry cart and was pulling it out of the cart rack. And was blocked when the dipshits in front of me blocked me by pushing the wet car into the rack while I as pulling the dry cart out of the same rack. I just gave in and took the wet cart while muttering "I hate people."

We've been getting some rain here. Not just the normal drizzly rain, but like four inches in two days rain. And we've been flooding. I live on a hill. I work on a hill. But I was trying to get to someone's house for a knit night and to pick up some purses (the house belonged to a local purse designer--and fellow knitter--who is getting out of the purse designing business. I went a little purse crazy and bought seven of her handmade bags). She lives on a hill but she is surrounded by areas that are flat and adjacent to water. I was able to get to her place and back and only saw water on the shoulder of the road, but trying to figure out if I could get there took some planning and phone calls. Luckily the water is receding and we are getting back our normal drizzly rain.

Friday I thought I saw sunlight and got excited. Now I think I merely confused a cloudy, non-raining sky with sun. I miss the sun. I'm ready for spring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only time to shop at Trader Joe's is right when it opens. The tiny parking lot seems obligatory (all three Seattle stores have the same problem) and we've found it just isn't worth trying to shop at any TJ's other than right on opening time. Not many hippies to push past in the narrow aisles either at 9am.