You know what tomorrow is? Inauguration Day! And unless you've been living under a rock, that means it's Our Day. It's Obama's Day. It's the day to push restart and start fixing this mess we allowed ourselves to get into. It's the day I have been waiting for since... Well, I was going to say since January 20, 2000, when I watched George W. Bush's inauguration and thought, "this bastard is going to get us all killed." But you know what, no. I've been waiting for this day for as long as I can remember.
This time I elected a president--WE elected a president--that I believe in, that I am proud of. I voted for a person I wanted in office. I didn't vote against someone. I voted for a man I have believed in since the first time I saw him speak (Democratic National Convention 2004). A man I saw speak in person (ALA Annual 2005). A man who makes me believe in this country. A man who inspires me. A man who can be a true leader.
As Will.i.am sang after the election: It's a New Day.
I hope to watch the inauguration tomorrow. We'll have a TV in the library, but I am scheduled at the reference desk. Given the absolute hippiness of this town and campus, I am hoping I can work something out so I can see Obama's speech. Sure, I can watch it online later, but there is something about watching something like this live, with the rest of the country.... It reinforces the fact that we are a community and that we are all in this together.
Yes We Can. Yes We Did. Yes We Will.
No comments:
Post a Comment