Thursday, March 19, 2009

Elvis Perkins in Dearland

I heard Elvis Perkins on Morning Edition this morning. He has a new album out. I caught Elvis Perkins in Dearland a couple of years ago with Sally and Larry, and he was pretty damn awesome.

He has a new album (Elvis Perkins in Dearland), and as I type I am downloading it from the Amazon store. This guy, this Elvis Perkins, give me shivers. I can't get enough of him.

There have been a rash of notes floating around Facebook. The random 25 things one, the top songs one... you know. Those things. I did a few of them--including top songs and 25 things. I also did the top 20 albums. Thee are the albums that made you stop or have significant meaning, etc. If you put my top songs/singles and album list together, the songs would almost directly relate to the albums, except one. Elvis Perkin's first album Ash Wednesday.

This album. Damn. I was thinking about it and about Perkins while I listened to him on Morning Edition. I kept thinking back to when I saw him. I was mesmerized. And then I took home the album and listened. About half way through it, without even realizing it, I was crying. It wasn't one particular thing, it was just the whole thing. Something, I don't remember what, just got to me.

Now, this was about six months after Dad died and my emotions were right below the surface. It didn't take much to make me cry. But this was more like crying without realizing it. I can't remember the last time an album did that to me.

Then I read about Perkins' story (Google it if you want to know about it). And how his story relates to the album. And how his story affected the album. And then I listened to the album knowing the full story. And this time I cried. I mean cried. Cried because I could hear the shift in the mood of the album. I cried because in a very small way I could relate.

Having an album hit you like that can create a bond between you and that artist forever. It's like going through something personal with a friend--no matter what happens in your live you will always have that bond. That is how I feel about Elvis Perkins. He could go on to become some Emo mofo, and I would still love him. Or at least have a soft spot in my heart for him.

So, without hearing the entire album, I am going to recommend everyone buy the new Elvis Perkins album. And then buy Ash Wednesday if you haven't already. Right now. (Note to Sweet Pickles, this is not ass-shaking music. Not by a longshot.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All music doesn't have to be ass-shaking all of the time. Just most of the time ;)