Monday, March 2, 2009

Little by little I am falling in love

...with the Pacific Northwest.

I've been intrigued with this part of the country for a long time. That is nothing new. And the more time I spend out here, the more time I spend outside, each time I look out my front window and see mountains, the more attached to this location.

I can see why people use sun lamps because day after day of clouds that feel like they are five feet above my head can really take a toll. But when the sun comes out? When it's clear enough to see the mountains? It's one of the most glorious things I have ever seen.

I can't really put my finger on what I like about this area. They are incredibly touchy-feely and worry way too much about each others feeeeeeeelings--and that impedes a lot progress in many areas. Drives me crazy. But there is still a vibe about this place that is just awesome.

Would I ever rule out moving again? No. Would I rule out moving to someplace like Seattle, Portland, or Vancouver, BC? Hell, no. But I can't see myself moving out of this region. Because as each day passes I begin to see myself as a pacific northwesterner (or whatever the term is) and not a misplaced midwesterner.

Plus, last week when it snowed my first thought after, "It's fucking snowing, goddammit" was, "We already had our snowstorm for the winter, we're done." I knew my midwesterner membership card would be revoked.

No comments: