Monday, September 7, 2009

*Sigh*

So, I knew the Obama presidency wouldn't be easy. I knew the danger of putting a person so high on a pedestal. I knew there were and are a magnitude of issues that need to be addressed and fixed in this country. I knew I wouldn't agree with everything Obama did, and I don't. There have been some decisions regarding torture I am not crazy about. I question some of the bail-out decisions. Yet I still believe that Obama is taking this country in the direction it needs to go. He still has my support.

But what I wasn't prepared for after Obama's election was just how stupid people are. Seriously.

Stupidity #1: Sarah Palin. There isn't just one thing about her that is stupid... everything about her is stupid. Her ridiculous political decisions. Her accusations of the president. Thank god McCain wasn't elected. I really hope she just fades into the background and lives the rest of her life hanging with her family in Alaska, hunting, and being a "hockey mom."

Stupidity #2: Death Panels. C'mom people. Really? Who is stupid enough to believe this? (See Sarah Palin.) Jesus. Does anybody listen anymore? "Death panels" is nothing more than a consultation with a doctor about how you or your loved one wants to handle end-of-life issues. Honestly? This is something that everyone should do and something everyone should discuss with their family and their doctor. But death panels? Someone decided when it is time to pull the plug? Personally, I think that's closer to our current insurance companies than anything the government wants to do. One of the best things I saw all summer? Barney Frank asking a young woman what planet she spent most of her time on.

Stupidity #3: Thinking Obama is a socialist. Anyone who thinks Obama is a socialist doesn't know what socialism means.

Stupidity #4: Thinking Obama is a Nazi. Anyone who thinks Obama is a Nazi is just plain dumb.

Stupidity #5: Not wanting Obama to address school children because he will make turn them into socialists. My god, we're a country of idiots. Like this woman. Actually, of all things I've mentioned, this one is the most ridiculous.

The issues over health care? The idea that Obama is a socialist? Obama indoctrinating children? The uproars over these things have nothing to do with heath care, socialism, education, or indoctrination. These things are directly related to fear. Fear of change. Fear of the unknown. Fear of anyone or anything that is different. I would like to believe that none of these things are related to race. I was never naive enough to believe that "racism was over" when Obama was elected. Because that's not true. But I am still holding back on that direct accusation--that this ridiculousness is directly related to race--because that is a serious accusation and not one I am willing to throw around (unlike Glen Beck). I want to believe that we, as a people, aren't that shallow and dumb.

Unfortunately, I am beginning to think we might be.

I would like to be able to have an intelligent conversation about these issues, but when these are the arguments, it isn't possible.

(I'm not talking about those who disagree with Obama based on legitimate political reasons and can articulate what those reasons are. I don't agree with those people but I can respect their opinion. Screaming about Obama being a Nazi, socialist, racist who wants to brainwash our kids is not an articulate argument.)

1 comment:

Mary said...

I heard on the radio yesterday morning that Sarah Palin had published yet another editorial about health care reform (in the Wall Street Journal--http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203440104574400581157986024.html) and that she's still going on about the "death panels."

Sigh, indeed. If people don't like the health care reform proposals and want to debate how it should be done, that's totally reasonable and responsible, but to continue to display such willful ignorance and to try to pawn it off on the masses...it's gross. We deserve better than more of the GOP's scare tactics.