I spent the afternoon at the dentist. I have gone to the dentist so often since I moved here the receptionist calls out, "Hi, Yankee Librarian!" when I walk in the door.
This, like the other work I have had done this year, was nothing major. A lot of the most recent dental work has been replacing old fillings I had done ten-plus years ago. I had a lot of work done in the late-90s and now all of the old composite fillings are crapping out. And it was all done at the same time so it is all crapping out at the same time. So, this was one of those. There's a chance it may need a crown, but we're going to stick with this for now and see how it goes. If it needs to be crown, a new filling puts that off for quite some time.
I had two fillings replaced over the summer. One shot of Novocaine (my sister-in-law tell me they don't use Novocaine anymore, but whatever. Y'all know what I mean) and I was so very numb. This time, on the other side of my mouth? It took three. THREE.
I got freaked out, though, when they were getting me all set up to start, I could feel a lot of what they were doing. Not just pressure or whatever, but I could feel it. I wouldn't say I completely freaked out, but I got a little nervous. And freaked. After the dentist poked and tapped various spots in my mouth ("Can you feel this?"), we both decided to go ahead and see what happens. My dentist told me there is one nerve on the lower right side of your mouth that can cause issues when trying to numb a person. In the end, it was all fine, but I have to say, I really wanted it to be over.
One big difference between my dentist here and my dentist in Mississippi? When I left the Mississippi dentist, I looked like a stroke victim. Droopy face, slurred speech, etc. My Washington dentist? Even after three shots of Novocaine I barely look like I'd had anything done.
Anyway, the numbness is finally wearing off. My mouth hurts like a mother and I can barely open my mouth. So, to make myself feel better I am going to pick up some tofu teriyaki and maybe some soy ice "cream."
No comments:
Post a Comment