Monday, October 26, 2009

And who are you supposed to be? ( Mad Men-related, including spoilers)

Yeah, yeah, yeah... that last line in Mad Men may have been a bit heavy handed, but I didn't care.

That, I must say, was one of the best individual television programs I have ever seen. Jon Hamm and January Jones were amazing. During The Talk, I remember thinking, "This is the first time I've seen Don Draper look small." And he did. And Betty Draper dropped her passive-aggressive mid-century uptighness. And I loved it. It was mesmerizing television.

There were so many things that could've gone wrong with that particular program, that could've just been dumb. Some may feel that the final line was just that. Maybe. I think the school teacher is the clunker of the current season, but I can only assume that it is leading us somewhere we don't know yet. Or her character may just be one of those things that points out that the times, they were a changin'. But that's not my point.

My point? Last night's episode was fucking brilliant.

Now, Don's story was not the only goo thing about last night's episode. I liked that Roger Sterling was back for more than just some odd comic relief. And I loved having Joan back. I missed Joan. My hairdresser told me I should go as Joan for Halloween.

I adore the snarky commentary of most television shows over at Television Without Pity. But since Mad Men is more than just snarky TV, I follow the commentary over at Slate.com. This link will take you to the discussion about the most recent episode, and there are lots of spoilers.

Other News
I went to the doctor. No flu. I have a run of the mill chest cold. But I got a new inhaler and some codeine out of the deal. I don't want to say too many good things about my medical insurance, because I think most insurance companies are evil, but my prescription coverage is pretty solid. My codeine? It cost my a $1.00.

I have tickets to see Shonen Knife tonight. I don't know a lot about them, but what I do know, I adore. But, I'm tired, I'm congested, and it's raining. Not the misty drizzly rain we normally have, but Real Rain. And I'm old. I know I would be pathetic to not got for any of the reasons I just stated, but just how pathetic would I be?

No comments: