Monday, October 26, 2009

Branding

Okay, so a more serious post.

I had faculty senate tonight and part of it was a presentation on a current initiative to create a brand for my university. It all made sense to me. I assumed everyone knew that colleges and universities have to both brand and market themselves to future students, alumni, legislatures, the community they are a part of, etc., etc., etc.

But I guess not.

I'm not going to say that everyone in the room was against the idea, but many were. "How can you brand what we do?" "Our departments do different things." "Our students aren't consumers." "We create scholars, how can you brand that?"

Basically, the sense was that they were above the ugly business of advertising.

I don't say a whole lot at senate. I'm new, and I am still trying to figure the place out. I hardly said anything the first year I was on senate at Ye Olde University for the same reason. The second year I never shut up.

But today I spoke up.

The person who seemed the most offended about the idea of branding wanted to know of another school that had done anything like this successfully. After a few others agreed with her outrage, I spoke up. I said I understood the need for this and understood what they were trying to do. And I used Ye Olde University as an example. YOU had a big hill to climb as far a public opinion and reputation. YOU was slipping ten or so years ago. They had an uphill battle that included history, culture, stereotypes, and more. And personally, I think they did a damn good job of winning that battle. Or at least part of it. (I'll also add that it was noted my current school is one of the last institutions of higher ed to go through a process like this.)

Maybe I have had a better understanding of this because I am a librarian. As a librarian, one of the things I need to do is look at how our library is both perceived and used. Librarians have to know how their resources are being used, we have to know what our user needs are. We have to brand ourselves because we are no longer the only option for research and references regardless of whether we like it or not, we're not. If we don't market ourselves, we'll become nothing more than a warehouse for old dusty books. And some of the faculty I've met on this campus would prefer it that way. Some have yet to understand the need for computers or wireless internet access in the library.

Anyway... I was shocked at the backlash towards branding.

But it got me thinking. Is it just me? Am I not offended because I'm a business librarian? Am I not bothered because I think that everything I do as a librarian is a form of marketing for my library? Or is it because I am so inundated by marketing and advertising that I barely notice it? Or maybe it's because I am part of the Mtv Generation and we have the attention span of a gnat.

I'm curious. Opinion? Comments? Others my age, are you offended by the idea of branding a university?

4 comments:

Sweet Pickles said...

I don't think it's because you're a librarian that you're not put off by the idea, but rather that you're living in the 21st century. I'd be curious to know the ages of all the objectors!

Yankee Librarian said...

I agree with you, except I would say that it meant I was living in the real world. And I would call the those against it as being of another generation.

Some people didn't like that I brought up YOU's ability to fundraise and campaign due to their own branding and rabidly loyal alumni. They felt it wasn't their role to create "alumni." Well, it becomes important when you start losing your state funding.

Please excuse my many typos. Most should be used to it by now. But the S key doesn't work well and I usually don't catch it until later.

Anonymous said...

I think you are on the right page for branding. What many people don't realize is that schools as well as hospitals are all a business. Somehow they need to attract students. Your comment on the "attention span of a gnat"…perfect. Look at Clarke. With the fire, they were re-branded so-to-speak. And just recently they re-branded again by incorporating more athletics. How else do you get new students.
I feel for ya! Good luck. In some ways, my job is similar. And I am in advertising!

Lynn B.

nova said...

I work at a college and "we" are obsessed with our brand/image and how we are perceived by alumni, current students (and their parents) as well as prospectives. I am not obsessed with it; but, I am mindful and not against it. I think many of our faculty think it's a waste of time and resources though (they'd prefer the money be spent on research).