Sunday, April 11, 2010

Watching, Reading, Playing

I've been meaning to do this type of blog for some time....

Despite being a librarian, I don't read much. Not that I don't like to, I do. But I am one of those people who will start a book and then not stop reading until it's finished. Even if that means staying up all night.

Reading
The last book I read was The Help. I loved it. I suggest you read it right now. I bought a copy of Franny and Zoey after JD Salinger died. I started it, but never got anywhere with it. I read it in college and loved it. I don't know if I will feel the same way now.

Watching, TV
Project Runway. I am digging this season of PR. The last two were shitty--the last one on Bravo you could tell they didn't give a shit. The first season on Lifetime the producers didn't seem to know what to do with it. But this season the show seems back on track. It's more about the process, the talent, and the fashion. And while I love some bullshitty drama, I liked that OR could still focus on the fashion. I'm glad they've gotten back to that.

American Idol. People complain about how bad it is this year. That squirrelly little boy needs to go. And Tim Urban makes me want to throw things a the TV. And the robotic girl who sang "Let it Be" annoys the hell out of me. And Siobhan? People rave about her, but I can't stand her. Her screeching. Her version of "The Long and Winding Road" was unbearable. Big Mike? I like Big Mike. Lee is decent, and getting stronger every week. But Crystal Bowersox? I love her and coffeehouse, dreadlocked style.

America's Next Top Model. Like "Project Runway," ANTM seems to have gone back to what made it great: tearing young women down to build them back up to be insecure models. Now that Tyra Banks has come to accept that little girls aren't dreaming of being on "America's Next Top Model" and that she isn't going to change the modeling industry or the world by choosing a "plus-sized" model, by going green, by banning smoking, or by choosing "short" models. I know ANTM is probably everything I should dislike about TV and mass media, but as someone who spent my mid-teens watching "Style with Else Clinch" on CNN and buying the fall Vogue and pouring over it like it was a bible... Well, I like ANTM for what it is. What I don't like is when it tries too hard to be something it isn't and teach me a lesson.

Shear Genius. I don't know why I watch this show. I love hair. I love the Bravo drama, but this show sucks. Yet I watch it. And I hate the woman who won. Not because I disliked her or her canary yellow hair (I liked her hair, actually). I hated the ridiculous bows she put in her hair.

Ugly Betty. I haven't been watching this on schedule. I keep screwing up my DVR so it doesn't record right. Ugly Betty lost it's way after the writer's strike and never recovered. But now that it is one episode away from ending, I want to see it to the end.

Glee. SO HAPPY IT IS COMING BACK NEXT WEEK.

Top Chef Masters. It's fine until Top Chef comes back, but I miss Top Chef.

Watching, Movies
9 to 5. I found this listed on On Demand during one particularly dreary Sunday afternoon. I loved it all over again. And I sang the theme song for several days.

The Hangover. I saw this a while ago... But I loved it, so I thought I would mention it.

Hot Tub Time Machine. This was awesome in so many ways I am already planning on buying it when it comes out on DVD. My favorite teen movie reference was John Cusack and the reporter from Spin sitting on the counter, a la Sixteen Candles. Just awesome.

The Blind Side. I will eventually see all the Oscar nominees, but I decided to start with the most feel-good of the bunch. Having some personal ties to this story made me want to see it, too. I liked it, but I understand the criticism. And they left out the fact that Michael Oher took ten-day correspondence classes in order to raise his GPA. I laughed at some things that only a few people would get (I'm looking at you, Frenchie). I thought Sandra Bullock was fine. But I don't know if the performance--or the character or film--were Oscar-worthy.

Playing
Words with Friends. It's an iPhone version of Scrabble and I am completely addicted. I tend to have several games going with several people, but I can only beat one of them. I've had several games with Cindy over at PooBou.com, and let me tell you, she is a master player. She can kick some word game ass.

2 comments:

cindy w said...

Ha! Thanks for the shout-out, but you should try playing my husband sometime. (He's SirCorduroy on both Twitter & Words with Friends.) He routinely kicks my butt at WWF. The last game we played, he beat me by well over 200 points.

Although, he's also the reason I'm starting to get pretty good at the game myself. I guess when you lose enough games, you start to learn some tricks. :-)

Mary said...

Agreed on Sandra Bullock - I thought her performance was fine, but after seeing Precious, I think Gabby should have won. She just came out of nowhere and blew me away.