Today I am thankful for the gym. Yes, the gym. The gym helps save my sanity, and it's a stress reliever. I've been going for more than a year. Have I lost much weight not really... at least not until recently. I started going because the doctor guilted me into it. I went to the gym when I lived down south, but I figured with all the walking I do, I wouldn't need it. But I did.
It didn't take long for the gym to become the place where I went to space out. I get on the elliptical and daydream. I think about nothing important. I zone out. I can be stressed out and pissed off, but after forty-five minutes at the gym, I feel like a different person.
I mentioned that I hadn't really lost any weight until recently. I lost almost thirty pounds a couple years ago but I had gained back about half of that. Recently I began dropping weight. I couldn't figure out why. And then I remembered that the bagel shop in the library had run out of Tofutti cream cheese and wasn't going to carry it again until classes started. A month of not eating a whole wheat bagel with a Tofutti cream cheese schmear once or twice a week? I lost ten pounds. So now how many of them do I eat? I think I have had two of them over the last three months.
And then over the last couple weeks, I lost some more weight. I've been sick, so there's that. But then I realized I was cutting out more sugar and not drinking as much beer. (If I have beer in the fridge, I will usually have one after I get home). I've lost enough that I had to take my belt down a notch.
Will I give up beer and sugar (AKA Smarties)? No. But I will be more conscious of how much I consume.
Anyway... I went back to the gym today for the first time in more than a week ('cause I've been sick and all). It felt great.
No comments:
Post a Comment