Friday, March 23, 2007

Chernobyl 21 years later

Next month will be the 21st anniversary of Chernobyl. What an absolute tragedy, and the areas of the former Soviet Union affected are still dealing with the affects. Some area are ghost towns, some areas house those physically affected by the radiation.

On a selfish note, I remember when it happened. I was a sophomore in high school and that summer I was supposed to go to West Germany for two months abroad as an exchange student. When reports of fallout and clouds of radiation were moving over Europe, my mom was concerned. Other parents were concerned, too. I know that a lot of parents pulled their kids from the program because they were worried about health risks.

While I was in Rickling, West Germany (northern Germany) my host father told me he was concerned about eating food from the garden because of radiation dangers. My host mom didn't seem too concerned since we ate plenty of food from the garden, but I remember being more aware of it and just how much it could have affected their lives.

This is an online diary from a couple of years ago. It includes pictures of towns, people, etc., that were in the forbidden zone.

This is a photo essay of Chernobyl and its affects. It also includes a timeline and other info. Mouse over "Menu" at the bottom right for more options.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone is a fascinating place to visit.

I visited the area for two days in June 2006 with a former resident of Pripyat. We toured the Chernobyl Plant (including the Reactor 4 control room), several of the abandoned villages, and Pripyat. I have posted a photo journal of my trip at:

http://www.nikongear.com/Chernobyl/Chernobyl_1.htm