Monday, November 9, 2009

Dear Mad Men (spoilers)

I love you.

Many people doubted you this season. Many people thought you had jumped the shark. I waited, knowing that while you may be a bit deliberate, you mean every single thing you say. I was hoping you were jut waiting to give me the good stuff. I am happy to say that the last two episodes were some of the best television I have ever seen.

Now I just wish I didn't have to wait until next year to find out what happens next.

So, Mad Men, with that, a few general thoughts:

Betty Draper. Oh, Betty. I want to like you. Your husband lied to you, and he has cheated on you. He has treated you like a trophy. In the beginning I thought you were happy with being a trophy as long as you got what you wanted: a suburban housewife existence where you got to judge others, ride horses, and do whatever it is that you do. But various comments about hating the suburb you live in and the oft-analyzed view of you reading The Group, I began to wonder if you were beginning to break with the Stepford Wife lifestyle you thought you wanted. Here's my question, Betty: Are you leaving Don Draper just to let Henry Francis take care of you? Or are you using him and his connections to get what you want? I am hoping it is the latter. Sure, it's manipulative as all hell, but since everything in this show means something, I am putting a lot of weight on your comment to Henry about having three children and needing to get everything you are entitled to from Don. Henry doesn't want you dependent on Don and says he'll take care of you. They fact that you didn't smile, swoon, or agree makes me think you are a lot smarter and a lot more calculating than others have given you credit for. I think you are using every possible option available to you to get out of a marriage that is making you miserable. How you are doing it may not be all that noble, but in the early-60s in New York, it may be your only option.

Don Draper. Yes, you make me swoon. But you are a cad. You know you can be a cad because you make people swoon. Just like Betty, you manipulate that to your advantage. But because of society and expectations, you can get away with it. As swoonable as you are, Don, I'm sorry, but your world is going to come crashing down around you in the next few years. You may think your world is spinning out of control now... just wait a few more years. You're going to hate it. And despite the fact that you have brought this all on yourself, I will still feel sorry for you.

However, Don, you have your office back. You are at the top of your game. For those of use watching you, I hope this keeps up. I miss the Roger Sterling, at least Roger Sterling without that little girl he married.

Peggy. You are awesome.

Pete. I am warming up to that little shit.

Joan. Thank you for coming back. How long until you are a partner?

English Dude. Loved, loved, loved your phone call with the London Office. This is the first time you have shown much character. And I liked it.

No comments: