Let me say this again: I love Mad Men. Love.it. LOVEIT.
The episode last weekend? You know, the one with THE EVENT? It's weird. I knew what the outcome would be. I knew what happened a few days later. Yet, there I was, still, holding my breathe, waiting. Maybe it was because all my life I have heard, "Where were you when..." I mean my generation has their own group memories and event, but this seems to be The Big One. I've heard all about where family and friends were, but this time I got to see it. And goddammit, it was compelling television. Not everyone could pull that off, to pull off the tension, to portray the uncertainty, yet there it was.
Thi series, and especially this specific episode, makes me think about my parents and grandparents and how much changed during that decade. Yeah, I know, one could probably argue that a lot happens every decade, but the '60s were so transformative for so many reasons. The Old Guard overlapped with the New Guard, and I'm not sure we've seen a culture and generational clash as big as that one. And like last Sunday's episode, we all know what's going to happen, yet this show is so well done it is still beyond compelling.
Random Mad Men Thought
I read somewhere that really, Mad Men isn't like watching our parents, it's like watching out grandparents. My grandparents were around Roger and Mona's age in the early '60s and my parents were just out of high school, so, that's about right. And when I see a scene of Don looking all calm, cool, and collected, telling a younger man to act respectful around a lady or to take his hat off... well, I do think of my grandfather. And then Don has some nooner with some waitress and, well... ew.
Basic Character Ramblings
As for the characters. It's hard not to feel sorry for Don. Now he's vulnerable, he's been exposed, and Betty is dumping all over him. Yet, I don't feel sorry for Betty, either. I'd like to think she is breaking out of the suburbia shallow and striking out on her own. And maybe she will, but maybe she will end up with the other dude whose name I can't remember. And that dude? Marry her? After a couple of kisses and some handwritten letters? C'mon.
Roger and Mona make a much better pair than Roger and the Young Thing. But Joan and Roger is a better match. While I hope Joan comes back, I find the husband-joining-the-Army-and-probably-going-to-Vietnam plot line too predictable. But, really, bring back Joan.
I look forward to the season finale. Unfortunately, I won't be able to see it when it airs and will have to catch it online. Normally, I would watch it On Demand, but my cable box only half works and I am too lazy to have the Comcast guy come to my house.
This means I will be spend Sunday night and Monday avoiding spoilers. Don't tell me anything.
2 comments:
are you...why I think you are...YL, I declare! Are you swooning?
Quick, someone get the salts! YL has the vapors!
I am totally swooning.
Post a Comment