In a good way.
I had one of those classes where when I went in and asked, "Do you have any questions about researching you're assignment?" And they did. And they had good ones. Simple ones. Now, that may not seem good to everyone, but oftentimes the simple questions don't get asked because students don't want to look stupid in front of their peers. So, something like, "If I'm looking for financial information for Cover Girl will I find it for Cover Girl or Procter & Gamble?" (...because Procter & Gamble owns Cover Girl) is actually fairly complex.
One simple question lead to a relevant discussion and demonstration of business resources and how to interpret the data. And how they won't always find that one magical number to answer what appears to be an easy question. And then how they will find the answer by looking deeper than just the surface. And how they will have to make some judgment calls based on the information they do find. And that business research isn't easy.
This quarter I decided to start doing sms/text reference. I added the Google Voice widget to my iGoogle page. I've mentioned it to a couple of classes right at the very end of the class period--basically when they were gathering their shit and thinking about wherever it was they had to be next. This time I mentioned it earlier in the class and within an hour I had my first question. Very cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment