Monday, November 22, 2010

My Day

**Warning, lame post ahead.**

I decided to venture out today.

Two things: I'm off all week because I found out I haven't been using my vacation; if I don't use it, I'll lose it. We got four inches of snow Friday. It was pretty and fun and lovely. And then we got a teeny bit of sleet and 45 mph Canadian winds and the snow turned into ice. In an area not used to snow and ice, this sucks. The roads above me are solid ice. The road below me was icy, but by today it is almost 100% clear.

After work on Friday, before it began to snow, I picked up some food and grabbed some beer, but what I forgot was coffee. I had to work on Saturday and the walk up the hill was interesting. I strapped on my YakTrax and had no problems, but I saw plenty of cars slipping and sliding down the hills. So... I was stuck home on Sunday due to the ice-covered roads. Luckily, I had enough coffee for one more pot. Normally, I probably would've stayed home today.... But I needed coffee. Words of a true addict, I know.

So, after almost eating it on the icy parking lot while taking out the garbage (I need to take out the recycling, but decided I'll wait until the ice melts), I scrapped off my car and headed down the hill. Despite the snow and ice at the bottom of my driveway (a steep hill with a curve), there were no problems. Through the central business district? No problems. The roads were dry and snow and ice free. Then I got to the other side of the central district and it was like passing into another town. There was about an inch of solid ice only broken up by the tire ruts from various vehicles. Ugh. It was a main road so I figured it would be pretty clear. I guessed wrong. Luckily, people weren't driving like maniacs who forget that four-wheel drive slides on ice just like front-wheel drive does.

The nice thing? The Monday before Thanksgiving and the Trader Joe's parking lot was only half full.For those of you not familiar with Trader Joe's, they are known for their ridiculously small parking lots.

After loading up on food for Thanksgiving, I hit the Co-op for coffee (because I hate the Trader Joe's brand coffee), lunch, and beer. While there I saw a guy decked out in Packer gear.

This is how I react when I see someone wearing Packer gear: At first glance, I do nothing and move on. And then I remember I'm not in Wisconsin and not everyone is decked out in Packer gear. So I turned around and said, "Hey did you see the game* yesterday?" And he said, "No, it wasn't on TV." And without missing a beat: "They fired Childress." And I actually squealed and clapped my hands and said, "I've been checking ESPN to see if they were going to do it now or at the end of the season.". Because as Packer fans, what we like almost more than our own team winning, is watching the implosion of the Vikings. And only would one Packer fan open a conversation with another by simply saying, "They fired Childress." (For those who don't know, Childress is the now-former coach of the Vikings.) But we went on to talk Packers and Wisconsin. This guy is the third person I have seen in the last month wearing Packer gear. Two of the three were from there, the other had family from Wisconsin. I'm not the most outgoing person when it comes to meeting people, but I will walk up to anyone wearing Packer clothing and start a conversation. I can't help myself.

The drive back up my hill was uneventful and despite a little slipping and sliding up my driveway... there were no problems. I really, really want to go to the gym, but since it is on the other side of the central business district and the Canadian winds are keeping the temps at about 15 degrees, the ice on the roads won't be melting anytime soon.

I'm going to hunker down with some crappy movies, maybe rewatch the two seasons of Twin Peaks, or maybe read a book, and thoroughly enjoy my week off.


*I didn't get to see the game yesterday. Originally, some friends were going to be in town and we had plans for brunch, but due to the forecast of freezing rain between here and Seattle (and snow on the pass), they decided not to make the drive. I would love to've seen them, but I was happy that I would be able to see the game. I've been able to find the games streamed online, so I got up at 9:30, used the last of my coffee and settled in for the game to start at 10:00 am. And then after the first quarter the stream switched to the Cleveland game. What the fuck? And the icy roads meant not being able to venture out to find a sports bar showing the game. I'm a little sad, okay a lot sad, that I didn't get to see the humiliation of not only the Vikings, but of Brett Favre.

No comments: