Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanks and All That

I don't have much to add to what I have said before: I'm thanking for the same things I was in past years: (2006 and 2007). I guess I wasn't all that thankful in 2008 or 2009. Well, in 2008 I spent four hours in a dental chair three days before Thanksgiving. Some friends in Seattle invited me down but I knew I would be terrible company as I was irritated for many reasons and my face hurt. I was thankful for the invite, but I decided to spend the day sleeping and eating pumpkin pie with some local friends. In 2009, well, the Fall 2009 wasn't a good time for me, and Thanksgiving was a time for me to hide away from some of the craziness in my life. I was thankful for that.

And this year I am thankful for everything I have been in the past: friends, family, cats, health, job. 

My friends, near and far, are of course, amazing. I'm finally beginning to get settled here. I miss my friends in Mississippi--they were (and still are) a good group. The friends here have taken me out for drinks when I needed it, provided advice when trying to sort out my personal life, and indulged in spa days (such a sacrifice, I know) for birthdays. But the last two years I have reconnected with so many dear, dear friends from my past. It has been amazing and has meant so much to me. These were the people I never knew I missed until I found them again. And now I am so very thankful that they are again part of my life. 

My family is awesome, as always. Last fall I was able to see my oldest stepbrother while he was out here for some training at Ft. Lewis. We disagree on almost everything, but he's a stand-up kind of guy. He's in Afghanistan right now and will be for the next year. I think of him often and try not to cringe whenever I hear of soldiers being killed. My mom, brother, sister-in-law, niece and nephews... All awesome. My brother, as always, is a rock and someone I continue to look up to more than he probably realizes. I spent close to two hours on the phone with my sister-in-law last weekend. I'm really glad my brother's wife is also my friend. 

It was a weird summer, health wise. Nothing major, but lots of small issues with allergies, walking pneumonia, etc., but I'm still amazingly healthy. Considering how much I abused my body when I was younger, I consider myself lucky. 

I'm thankful to have a job. I still love what I do, but sometimes I find the setting completely exhausting. Yet, I like most of my colleagues, I love working with the students, and I get to do it in one of the most beautiful places on the face of the earth. 

The cats? Yeah, I'm thankful for my cats. 

And then the other stuff: good food, mid-afternoon naps, the Farmer's Market, football, shoes, Boundary Bay IPA, New Glarus Spotted Cow, coffee, cupcakes, and so much more. 

No comments: