Thursday, November 25, 2010

What I Learned Today

  1. I can still drive in the snow.
  2. People are idiots. 
We got a few more inches of snow today. Luckily, the ice from the weekend had melted (at least on the main roads). The temperature was in the teens when it started snowing but was in the upper 30s by the time it stopped, so the snow was that wet, sloppy stuff that melts fairly quickly. And because the temps were rising to more seasonal levels, the snow was going to melt and not refreeze. 

This kind of snow creates a sloppy mess. It isn't ice, and that is good, but it does become like driving in sand. But the thing is, I haven't driven in real snow in seven years. So I was a little nervous. Nervous because I haven't driven in it and when I did drive in it, it was in an area that did a good job of keeping roads cleared. 

And... As I have mentioned before, I live on a hill. I spent Thanksgiving with some friends on the other side of the hill. I could either drive up and over the hill, or down, around and back up. I opted for the latter. I prefer the up-and-over route because it is more fun to drive but not in the snow. 

Anyway, my road is usually pretty crappy--as is my driveway--but both were almost half clear. I only had to stop once because two people decided the snow meant they should stand in the road and take pictures of the snowy trees. But they didn't seem to understand with sloppy roads and two cars trying to pass them going opposite directions, you can't stand on the road. Both the oncoming car and I had to stop to wait for these morons to move. Not stopping would mean driving out of the tire ruts in the snow and both me and the other driver knew doing that could be bad for all parties involved. Eventually, they moved enough for us to get by, but I still don't think they got it. 

Past my hill, the main roads were nothing more than wet. My friends live at the end of a side road, which meant it as more snowpacked. But, I knew I could get to the top as long as I didn't have to stop. Unfortunately, I got stuck because I had to stop. Again

Some yahoos were standing in the middle of the road with their car doors open. I slowed down but kept moving until I realized I couldn't get around them since their car doors were open. And they just stood there, staring at me. And then I got stuck. I did the reverse-drive-reverse thing several times, but no luck. Since I only had to go a few more blocks I tried parking there and then walking up, but that was worse. 

The jagoffs who had been in the middle of the street were still staring at me. Two of them were nice enough to push me to the end of the block so I could get going (and so I didn't slide into their cars). And that was very nice of them. But then one of them said, "You just need to get some speed." No shit, Sherlock. I had speed until I had to stop for your dumb ass standing in the middle of the road. 

They way back down the hill was easier. There were fewer cars on the road and there were two clear ruts in the snow so I was driving on pavement and not snow. (I will admit I slid sideways at first because I forgot I had set my parking break.) I was doing fine until I got to the final block. I was picking up a bit too much speed and the slushiness of the street was getting worse. As I tried to slow myself down without making any sudden moves, I saw some dude standing in the street, next to his car with the the car door open. As I rolled to a stop (with a car behind me), I waved the guy away from his car (it's a narrow street); however, I had to come to a complete stop because he left his car door wide open. What the fuck? I tried to get past him, but I knew I would clear his door by inches and I wasn't comfortable with that. I waved at the guy some more. So he stepped farther off the road. I waved again. Finally, finally, he realized I wanted him to close his fucking door. 

It's stupid to leave your car door open when a car is passing you, but it is really stupid to leave your car door open when a car is trying to pass you in adverse weather. 

From there on, the roads were perfectly fine. I have to say, the Midwesterner in me was very happy to find that seven years after leaving, I can still handle driving in sloppy winter weather. 

And Thanksgiving was good. Lots of good food and good conversation. And I plan on spending the nest three days eating leftovers, drinking, beer, and watching football.

No comments: