Monday, November 1, 2010

Veganniversary

Today is World Vegan Day. Two years and one week ago I decided to take part in World Go Vegan Week--and I never looked back.

It's hard to believe it has been two years. By that I mean it feels like it has been longer--and I mean that in a good way. Being vegan feels completely normal and natural to me. It is hard for me to imagine living any other way.

That's not to say it has all been all puppy dogs and rainbows. I've struggled. I've been in situations where I know I ate non-vegan items. But as I tell others, I'm a realistic vegan. As long as I eat at non-vegan restaurants or eat thing that other people have made... there is a very good chance I will eat something that is non-vegan. Does this bother me? Yes and no. Sometimes I feel like I need to try harder. Other times I know I am doing the best I can to live the type of life I want live. We're all fallible and I live in the real world. For now, I'm okay with that.

My goal when I went vegan was to feel better and hopefully lose some more weight. I had lost 21 pounds when I went vegan. I lost another nine pounds after that for a total of 30 and my end goal was 50. I was on my way, but then I discovered vegan junk food. And vegan muffins. And vegan donuts. So..... instead of losing another 20 pounds, I gained back 15. I'm still down from where I started, and I still feel better than I did before. .

Do I still struggle with my weight? Yup. I go to the gym five days a week. I walk to work every day and walk a couple of miles every Saturday. But, well, simply put, I like food. Good food. And despite what many people think. good food and veganism are in fact two things that can and do go together.

So, here's to me on my veganniversay! I'm proud of myself.

No comments: