Saturday, May 19, 2012

Dear Sony Pictures and NBC

So, you let Dan Harmon go as show runner for Community. You replaced him with people from other shows: Happy Endings and Aliens in America. Listen, I like Happy Endings. It's a snappy ensemble sitcom and I DVR it. I am pretty sure I was the only person who watched Aliens in America, but I liked it. I'm sure being stuck on the CW is why it never went anywhere. Or maybe people weren't ready for it. But I liked it.

So, people from good shows. But these shows aren't Community.

I'm a just a little attached to this show. I'm invested in this show. I identify with this show on so many different levels. I am one of the loyal viewers who follows Dan Harmon (@DanHarmon) on Twitter. And, yes, I read his reaction to being fired on his Tumblr page.

Listen, Sony Pictures and NBC, I don't know what you're thinking. I was happy you ordered thirteen more episodes of Community for next year. I don't even care that NBC relegated it to Friday night after that horrible show Whitney. To me this meant it was the last season. But this also meant we were going to get thirteen episodes of Dan Harmon insanity as he took the show out in a blaze of meta-glory. In a sense, I was looking forward to it.

And then you canned him.

If you wanted an ensemble show, like Happy Endings, make one. Community is an ensemble show, but it is a unique ensemble show. It does have limited appeal. I get that. If you wanted one that had broader appeal, make one and put it on Thursday night or some other night when people will watch it. Leave Community alone to the freakazoid lunch table that is Friday night. Let the rest of us enjoy it to the end.

But for whatever reason, you couldn't do that. You're gonna try to makeover the freakazoid in the lunch room to fit in with the cool kids. And just like all the other attempts to make over the weird quirky kid to meet the so-called norm, by firing Dan Harmon you will rob Community of all it's soul and character.

Way to go. *insert sarcastic slow clap*

Suck it, Sony Pictures and NBC. Suck it. Darkest timeline ever.


#SixSeasonsandaMovie #NotWithoutDanHarmon

#FirstWorldProblems

No comments: