Thursday, May 31, 2012

Overshare

Sometimes I overshare. Mainly it's because I talk a lot, but sometimes I just say shit I shouldn't. Other times I don't say enough because I just don't feel like it. But, whatever, that's my deal.

Well, today I went to the eye doctor. I don't have bad eyesight but I need glasses for driving, and watching TV and movies. Because my eyesight rarely changes, I go to the eye doctor when I need new glasses. I like my frames a lot, but they're six years old and getting a little warn out. And my lenses are so scratched I'm surprised I can see through them.

Anyway.... The eye doctor. After a twenty-minute check-up I know more about him than I know about some of my friends. He got divorced last year. He lost his house. He commutes a long way but figures it's penance for how crappy his life has been. He feels he's lucky to be working where he does, and he's happy there. He's been there about a year. He has three dogs. His dad was in the building industry. He likes being an optometrist because he's good at it and it's easy (and he's glad he's not in the building industry, like his dad). He has family in Mississippi. He lived in Memphis, Nebraska, California, but is from the east coast. Oh, and he hates the dentist. And the Washington rain is a bit much for him, but he thinks that is partly because he sits a lot. He needs to get his blood flowing.

In between all of these personal factoids, he told me my eyes were made for being a librarian because I have perfect eyesight for reading, and he doesn't even think I will need reading glasses. (And by the way, he asked, do I like being a librarian? It must be very rewarding. People using computers and reading are what keeps him in a job, so he likes libraries.) My left eye is worse then my right eye, and my right eye is almost perfect (always has been). I have little to no astigmatism and this amazes him. Even though I think I am blind (because my eyes were perfect for so long), he says my eyesight is pretty spectacular.

Despite the oversharing, I found him oddly endearing.

And, by the way, I got some pretty great horned-rim frames from Jonathon Cate called Lustre Lady (page 3, in wine/silver; I almost got the polka dot frames). I found some spectacular leopard print frames, but they didn't work with my non-existent nose. And while I was told this place had the best and cheapest selection in town, I chose some of the most expensive frames they had. Of course.

3 comments:

Frenchie said...

So can you roll your eyes if they're dilated? It sounds like that would have been an issue for me if he were my ophthalmologist. The new glasses look cute, though....

Yankee Librarian said...

I've never even had my eyes dilated. I don't know why they do it. I love, love, love the glasses. The brown ones were too yellow. I liked the polka dot ones a lot, but they were a bit much for every day.

I liked the reddish ones because they will go with my hair now when it's red and my natural color (which I am seriously thinking about going back to sooner rather than later).

Yankee Librarian said...

New glasses have arrived. They're a little stronger and will take some getting used to. My concern is that they may have over-corrected my eyesight. I'll wear them for a few days to see.

And a friend saw the same eye doctor last week. There was no oversharing. I guess he felt he could talk to me. Or something.