Shit.
Where the Wild Things Are was my favorite book as a kid. Over the last few hours, many have been asking why Sendak's books resonated with kids. Simple. Sendak explained it himself: He refused to lie to children. Kids aren't stupid. They have a strangely acute bullshit director. Sendak knew that and told it like it was, but he did it in a way that kids understood.
![]() |
| My childhood copy. I can still remember sitting with this book, fascinated by the illustrations. |
First thing I did when I got home from work was pull my childhood copy of Where the Wild Things Are off the shelf. It's a bit yellowed. There are some scribbles on the cover and inside the book. The back cover is damaged. It is well-loved.
Mr. Sendak. You influenced a generation. May you continue to influence more.
Rumpus in Peace, Mr. Sendak.

No comments:
Post a Comment