Friday, May 4, 2012

#RIPMCA

I remember both loving and hating (You gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party). I got the tongue-in-cheek-ness of it, but I knew it would become a high school anthem. It did. But I also understood that it was a fuck authority anthem. I was okay with that.

I missed Paul's Boutique when it was released. But I found it later. Damn, it is a good album.

I remember the first time I saw Sabotage, and I loved every single thing about it.

I own very little that The Beastie Boys have done. They were on my someday-I'll-by-it list for as long as I can remember. That's gonna have to change.

When I saw that Adam Yauch died, I sat at my desk, mouth hanging open... shocked and sad. And I said, "Holy shit." It's not like I was a huge Beastie Boys fan or anything, but good lord I could appreciate so very much of what they did. They were a group that got better and better with age. As they grew up, I grew up.

All I can think of to say is, "They were The Beastie Boys." What else needs to be said?

But Yauch's death? I am in total shock. I'm not sure why. It's not like the world didn't know this was coming. Yauch had been diagnosed with cancer in 2009. But it just seems so wrong. Why? Simple. Yauch was one of the good guys.

*sigh*

Rest in Peace, MCA.




1 comment:

Debbie said...

I really got into the Beastie Boys when I was in my mid-20s, and their music fueled many of my first long drives in my first car. They were THE sound of my independent youth.

Man. This is so horribly unreal. And powerfully sobering.