Saturday, May 19, 2012

I wish I had a video

I'm a creature of habit. Most Saturday mornings I walk to the local farmer's market. And almost every Saturday I pass the same guy at almost the same spot--or at least on the same block. This guy, he jogs. Or, well, he runs.

I wish I had a video of him. Or at least a picture. But I couldn't take one without being obvious, and if I had a video or a picture to post it would look like I was making fun of him. I'm not. I'm actually fairly impressed with him. When I say he runs I should add that he runs with his own, um, style.

He's an older guy. Longish grayish hair with a longish grayish beard. He wears a headband. He is shirtless. And he is skinny with the body of an aging runner. And he wears these shorts. Man, I wish I just had a picture of the shorts. They are red, white, and blue with stripes, and I think, stars. Think Harlem Globetrotter.

But in addition to what he looks like, he has his own thing. He runs with his arms held a little too far from his side, kind of curved. And he runs all bowleggedy. And I mean he runs. With speed. This isn't casually jogging. He runs like he needs to be somewhere right now.

Do you remember the episode of Friends where Phoebe and Rachel go running in Central Park? Do you remember how Phoebe runs? If not, let me remind you:



Image a slightly toned-down-Phoebe run done by a shirtless aging hippie wearing red, white and blue stars-and-stripes shorts. That's this guy.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I think this guy's long-lost twin lives in my hometown; sounds like they're sporting the same hairstyle, similar running postures, and almost identical outfits. Only difference is, our guy runs at a slightly more leisurely pace, and he waves at every single person/car/dog/stroller he passes. If only we could get them together...

(I forgot about Phoebe's running. Awesome.)

Yankee Librarian said...

I saw my guy running this morning along the waterfront this morning. Same posture, still shirtless, but different shorts.