But I hate, hate, hate, hate making them.
Oh, and I like skulls, especially skull and crossbones. It is not, as many people think, a pirate thing. It's an aging punk rocker thing.
So... what do I want? Skull and crossbones socks.
I started one pair (Toxic Socks from Knit Picks). They were black and white. The first attempt was too tight. The second attempt was too loose. The third attempt seemed okay. I made it all the way to the toe when I decided I didn't want to finish them. That was more than two years ago. The one sock is still on the needle. (Yes, needle. I use the magic loop method. I hate double-pointed needles.)
![]() |
| The second pair of socks I attempted to make. I never finished them, I doubt I ever will. |
After the black-and-white skull socks, I decided I was done with socks. I would look but not attempt to make. Socks aren't hard to make, just tedious. One sock was easy, but two? Just annoying. You finish one sock and then, dammit, you have to make the second.
And then I got a giftcard to Knit Picks for Christmas. And I found the pattern for Hot Crossbones Socks, and I was smitten. I liked the pattern better. I loved the red. Despite my feelings towards the first pair, I bought the kit.
That was more than a year and a half ago. And guess what? I finally finished the damn socks. I did like this pattern better. And, no, they weren't hard to make. They knit up quick, especially using the magic loop. The first sock went pretty fast and the second one was the same, but I got bored with them. I had other things I needed to finish first. I got busy. I just didn't feel like finishing the second sock. I knew if I just put my mind to it, I could finish the second sock in a few days. Did I? No.
Yesterday, I got a Knit Picks catalog in the mail and what was on the first page? The pattern for my red skull socks, and my first thought was, "Ooooh, I love those." My second thought was, "Oh, wait...." That is when I decided I was going to finish them this weekend. And I did. I stayed up until 2:30 in the morning weaving in the loose ends just because I wanted them finished.
They look pretty. And they are cool. There are all kinds of problems with them, mainly due to my issues with tension when knitting fair aisle. But look! THEY'RE DONE. Now I never want to see them again.
![]() |
| Done! |
Because I still like socks and I found I love the magic loop, I bought a copy of Knitting Circles Around More Socks. Why? Because it covers the two-at-a-time method. And I'm a glutton for punishment. My biggest issue with socks, now that I know I don't need to use double-pointed needles, is finishing the second sock. But two at a time?! This make sense to me. I even bought some nifty yarn that was wound just to work with the two-at-a-time method. I want to start. I really want to start, but I think I need a break from socks.


1 comment:
Those socks are totally bitchin'! Love the colors.
I started crocheting some toddler-sized legwarmers a few months ago and ran into the same problem re: getting bored with them. One down, about 3/4ths of the other to go...ugh. Like you said, it's not that they're hard to make, it's that there's two of them. ha ha
Post a Comment