Sunday, May 27, 2012

Let's Pretend This Never Happened

I have to work tomorrow, tomorrow being Memorial Day. Yes, the library is open on Memorial Day. When you're on the quarter system, spring semester goes until mid-June. So, while at most colleges and universities, graduation has come and gone, we're just heading into the last week of classes. So, not only is the library open, the reference desk is open. I've been able to avoid working a holiday so far, so it was my turn. Plus, I'm taking two days off later this week (and two days the week after that), so it's not like I won't get a short week (or two). And I took Friday off so I would still get a three-day weekend.

And, you know, taking off the Friday of a three-day weekend is pretty nice. Because I still have a three day weekend but my third day is a day when everyone else is off, too.

I went for a walk in the sun, drank coffee and finished the book I was reading, did some window shopping, and bought Jenny Lawson's book, Let's Pretend This Never Happened. I almost didn't buy it because reading the blurb on the inside cover made me think it was going to be one of those "my father was weird/crazy and now I'm damaged and that is why I am am so funny" books. But then I read the first few sentences of the first chapter:
Call me Ishmael. I won't answer to it, because it's not my name, but it's much more agreeable than most things I have been called. 'Call me that-weird-chick-who-says-"fuck"-a lot' is probably more accurate...
I knew I had to buy it. (And her dad was weird, but more in a small town, rural, west Texas kind of way.)

I laughed. I cried. (Seriously.) She writes about her childhood, her issues with anxiety, rheumatoid arthritis, and more. So much more.

If you haven't read her blog post about Beyonce the Chicken (which I blogged about a while ago, I think) or her follow-up posts, do.

So on my fake-holiday day I went for a walk in the sun, started reading a book that made me laugh, and took a nap at 4:00 in the afternoon. Win-win-win.


2 comments:

Mary said...

I've had this book on my list for a few weeks, but hadn't pulled the trigger yet -- maybe a pit stop at the book store's in order this afternoon...

Yankee Librarian said...

It's pretty damn funny. Okay, really fucking funny.