I've never done the music festival thing before. I wanted to go to Lollapalooza back in the day, but something always came up, and I couldn't go. So, now, in my mid-30s, I am finally attending Lollapalooza.
I came close to cancelling the trip when Dad died, but I spent a lot of money on this trip, and knowing that Dad was not one to waste money, he would've told me to go. Not to mention he would've laid that midwestern guilt on me and said, "You have your own life; don't change your plans for me."
So, after a lot of planning and the help of my brother and sister-in-law, I made it to Chicago. I'm here with a former classmate, C. I also met up with the friend of a friend, N. A friend of K's... K being a friend I have never met in person. N told me he was not going to see what I was like in person and report back to K, but I know he's lying. ;)
Lollapalooza has been a blast. I came here for four reasons: Sleater-Kinney, The Go! Team, Sonic Youth, and Wilco. I also saw part of Stars when we got here. We tried to see Iron and Wine but he was competing with a hip-hop artist, and he lost. So, we wandered across Grant Park to the Raconteurs -- who I liked. C doesn't like Jack White's voice (but I do). We left early to make sure we got good seats for S-K.
They were one of the reasons I came here, but when they announced their haitus, they jumped to the reason I was here. And they did not dissapoint. The played a lot of The Woods. I like the album anyway, but it was the first album I listened to after I found out Dad died, so I now have a personal attachment as well. I was soaked to the bone with sweat afterwards, and I was pumped. But 30 minutes later I could barely stay awake long enough to eat.
Day 2 consisted of Be Your Own Pet, The Go! Team, Oh No! Oh My!, and Sonic Youth. Be Your Own Pet didn't translate well to an open-air show. The Go! Team blew me away. Even people in the back were dancing their asses off. It was one of the most energetic shows I have ever seen. Caught part of Oh No! Oh My!. They sounded good.
Then it was to the other side of the park to stake out a spot for Sonic Youth. I will save you the details of feeling claustrophobic and way too hot in the crowd. Or the high school girl who spent the entire show with her back to the stage, text messaging, and talking to some guy about chearleading. (It was about this time that C began to wonder how much money it would take to bail me out of jail after I threw a punch a the girl; I very bluntly, in terms I won't use here, told her to shut her mouth. I am pretty sure I scared her.)
Anyway, Sonic Youth was ah-may-zing. Thurston Moore is my guitar hero. What a show! What volume! Most of what they played was from Rather Ripped, but they did throw in "Schizophrenia" off Sister. (It was during this song I really laid into the high school girl for talking; don't mess with SY's Sister.)
We opted out of the rest of the show for air conditioning, margarita's, and food. We then watched the after concert crowds from the stepd of the Art Institute.
Have I ever mentioned how much I love Chicago? Because I do. Lots.
And my accent has returned.
No comments:
Post a Comment