Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Wilco

Two posts, back to back.

Wilco will be here in October. Wilco! Awesome. This will be number five for me. 1) St. Paul, opening for REM (1999); second row center, made eye contact with Tweedy the entire time; they did "Misunderstood" and the "Lonely 1": both gave me goosebumps. 2) Orpeum Theatre, Madison (2002). Front row, center, but the stage at the Orpheum is something like eight feet tall; we could only see Tweedy from the waist up, but I was with Wilco groupies (and friends from Chicago) -- a good time was had by all. Tweedy asked the guy behind me, Dick, a fireman from Chicago, if he was mad at him (as I guess something happened at one of their previous shows). 3) Red Rocks, Colorado, opening for REM, again (2003). I was farther back than I would have liked and too many people ignored them, but it was Red Rocks; initially I chose that particular show because it was the last show Wilco was opening for REM, I figured it had to be good. Then what did they do? Add a second night. And REM and Wilco played together. Bastards. 4) Lollapalooza, Chicago (2006). Lots of drunk and sweaty people in Chicago. 5) And now here. the venue? A stuffy theatre. What does that mean? It will be a sit-down show. And what does that mean? Tweedy will get pissed off because he is, you know, a megalomaniac.

No comments: